I have a son with mental illness, he hears voices — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have a son with mental illness, he hears voices

bobsybob
bobsybob Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2017 in Mental health and wellbeing
I have a son with mental illness, it is good to find a place to talk about this and share experiences and information. He hears voices and is not able to work, at least not consistently, lives alone and does not cope very well. I worry a lot and do my best to support him. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Hi @bobsybob

Welcome to our website & online community,

It is great to meet you & I hope that we can help you ??

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bobsybob
    Has your son got a diagnosis? Does he see CAMHS?

There is some great information on the CAMHS site here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bobsybob, how are you getting on? Did you manage to take a look at the CAMHS information above?
  • bobsybob
    Hi Pippa
    I have looked at the CAMHS information that Sam suggested but my Son is 42 I am not convinced the medication is much help to him as his voices are always there anyway. He has never had a diagnosis and denies he is ill. I hope somehow to help him find coping strategies and a way to feel less isolated. Thanks Bobby
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bobsybob
    Thank you Danny information like that is very helpful
    Amanda sorry to hear about all your troubles, hope you are finding ways forward
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2017
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that @bobsybob, and I'm glad you found the above information from Danny helpful.

I wonder if @RebeccaMHadvisor has any further advice that might help you?
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    I dont hear voices as such.
    But I do get vary vivid dreams that shake me to the core and screw with my head for days. Its like I cant work out whats real and whats dreamed?
    One of them is 'the voices'. cant see anyone, sort of like under a sheet or cloud or something and theres familiar sounding voices calling to me, by name.
    Begging me to wake up etc.

• [Deleted User]
  • ClydeBuilt
    ClydeBuilt Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    I dnont cope as such, it can knock me of balance for days. I am visibly shaken by it at times.

Along with the voices, I get recurring dreams where I am somewhere thats my 'real' home and I dont know if Im dreaming the place, or of the real here and now is the dream. Another is the big house, much like those you see on those long roads in rural France. Again I 'know' thats my home, but cant get into that one, so cant see the inside. For us 'oldies' its very much like 'Shakespeares Sister video 'Stay with me' but far less dramatic.
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @bobsybob

Watching someone you care about suffer can be very difficult and with Mental Health it isn't as straight forward to deal with because they have to accept their illness and want to get better before they are able to. If your son denies that he is ill the only thing you are able to do for him is be there, be an ear for him and be there when he needs you.

There is a stigma attached to all mental health diagnosis let alone for people who hear voices and this may be why he denies being ill. Help try to make him see that he isn't alone, that it is more common than he may realise. There is help out there for him, but he has to want it.

Rebecca
  • kaz69
    kaz69 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have a 19 yr old daughter with high end aspergers anxiety and depression and possible adhd, she also hears voices one of them being a not very nice version of me, this is very hard not just for her but for me as the me in her head is horrible and she confuses the 2 , we recently had to call the police as she was hearing this voice and she was hanging from her bedroom window wanting to jump and die , it’s heartbreaking seeing them this way but I have learned I just need to be there as and when I am needed , I have constant battles trying to get her on right meds ect but it’s not easy. We are battling wiv pip at mo as are many people they really do. It understand mental illness. 
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @kaz69

I can hear how difficult things are for you with your daughter. I am wondering if you are receiving any support yourself? Whilst I can hear that your focus is your daughter it is really important that you also look after yourself and your mental health.

The PIP process is a difficult one and leans more towards the physical side rather than the mental health side of things. Scope have produced some really good information that might go some way to helping you.

Good luck
    Rebecca

Brightness