Short stories for a puppet show about Cerebral Palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Short stories for a puppet show about Cerebral Palsy

NikkiRosa
NikkiRosa Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone,

My name is Nikki, I am a puppeteer and I also have Cerebral Palsy.

A couple of  years ago I created some puppets which have Cerebral Palsy. I know it sounds strange at first hearing! I wanted to create puppets that reflected my own phisicality and moved like they had CP. I made them wearing the splints and Piedro boots from when I was younger. 
I have just received great news of some Arts Council funding to create a puppet show with these puppets to appear at the Mayor of London's Liberty Festival in 2018. Here's some more information on the festival: https://www.london.gov.uk/events/2017-07-15/liberty-festival

For this show I am hoping to collect brief stories, funny or serious, of everyday experiences of having CP.  I will put them together to be performed in small puppetry sketches. 
So I am opening a discussion for anyone who would like to contribute a story! It can be from any point in your life, and as brief or as detailed as you like. 

With your story just say if you would like to be credited or remain anonymous. 

Thank you for taking time to read this! If you have any questions at all, just ask. 

Best wishes,

Nikki

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    This sounds really interesting; I will think about any stories that might be suitable.  My son is 19 and has athetoid CP and also no speech so uses a communication aid...I will ask him.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited November 2017
    It might not be possible to do with puppets but: I took a little boy with CP swimming. They let us in through a side door (as he uses a wheelchair) and while I was helping him get changed, 3 life guards assembled the biggest most complicated hoist I have ever seen. It looked like some sort of industrial crane and it took them a good 15 minutes. 

We came out of the changing room, Little one pointed at it, laughed and jumped out of his wheelchair straight into the pool. The looks on all the staffs faces were priceless.  Lovely people trying to help, but don’t assume you know what we need  :D:D

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.