Find out if I can get help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Find out if I can get help

Ruth22
Ruth22 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been on sick now for 4+going on 5 months now and we get 4 full payment and 4 half payment then s.t.p which is not a lot as I still have a mortgage to pay  I live on my own so now I'm on about £74.12 how are you to make ends meet im using all my savings up please that's me know if I can get any help !! 

Comments

• Ruth22
    Ruth22 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    That should be 4 weeks and 4 weeks 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Ruth22Ruth22,

It's very difficult to advise without knowing more about you but if you are on SSP only then I would look at whether you can claim Income Support on top (IS can help you pay a mortgage, but there is a waiting period of 9 months). Be careful because if you are in a 'full service' area, Income Support will have been replaced by Universal Credit - I would recommend getting advice locally before claiming that (eg from Citizens Advice).

Separately I would look into whether you can get any help with council tax from your local council - you should be getting the 25% reduction for living alone, but you may be entitled to other help too. 

Finally I would also consider whether you can claim PIP (personal independence payment), you can look at the self-test to think about this. If you do get PIP or DLA, make sure you let the DWP and the local authority know (don't assume one bit of the DWP knows about the other bit!)

You can have a look at all of this on the Scope benefits calculator.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.