I suffer from depression and stress and alcohol addiction — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I suffer from depression and stress and alcohol addiction

Wayne5429
Wayne5429 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2017 in Mental health and wellbeing
I suffer from depression and stress, but I'm finding it hard to get any help, because I used to have a alcohol addiction. But I have that under control now.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wayne5429, and a big welcome to the community! Sorry to hear about your mental health issues, but good to know that your addiction is under control. Is there anything in particular we can help you with at the moment?
  • Wayne5429
    I need help with my depression, and stress, as I find it hard to sleep, I get depressed and i get angry with myself, which leads to me self-harming myself, I've tried talking my doctor, and even tried talking minds, but they can't look past my drinking. What is hurting me is, I've had a few friends commit suicide, who were ex-army like me.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that things are difficult, @Wayne5429. It must have been tough to see your friends go through similar things too. 

If you yourself have thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself. 

Whilst we cannot advise on medical issues, seeing your GP would be the best step to take in terms of managing your mental health issues and sleep. Does this sound like something you can do?

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Wayne5429 How are you I know this hard to talk about what you are going through and I understand this.  I hope you can get help.  I know it is not easy.  I suffer the same.  Had a addiction history for thirty years.  Been clean now for ten and I wish you best in beating that.  Every day is a struggle and seeing that you have memories like I do of past friends who unfortunately gone.  The pain is still there and will always be for the memories linger.  I found this helps talking here.  I am a old fashioned gentleman in my fifties.  Being in a support group did help and got great support but we are men and some like me do find it hard to talk.  What is happening at the minute in a lot of charities especially mental health ones that if you mention addiction histories as I had many times in my support groups over the years I got put down by various staff who think addiction is a dirty word.  I believe in speaking out.  So this is a message of support and wish you the best.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wayne5429
    Have you tried speaking to SSAFA? COuld they offer you any support?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Wayne5429
    Yes I've talked to SSAFA that helped me get a bed and got me lots of leaflets and some numbers to contact.
  • Wayne5429
    Being a shy person, I find it hard to talk face to face with people, and have trust problems too, I find it easier to put things down on paper.

Brightness