Stutter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stutter

motherscuffer
motherscuffer Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hi, my 4 year old has agenesis of the corpus callosum and has recently developed a stutter. Aside from giving him time to find his words, is there anything else I can do to help and support him? 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @motherscuffer have you seen a speech therapist? My daughter saw one when she was about 4 and they were lovely, it was all play based and she loved going.  I got a referral through my health visitor.

There is some information on stuttering here too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • motherscuffer
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @motherscuffer have you seen a speech therapist? My daughter saw one when she was about 4 and they were lovely, it was all play based and she loved going.  I got a referral through my health visitor.

There is some information on stuttering here too.
    He does see a speech therapist, but not very often. He’s due to go soon which is good as it’s got worse since our last visit. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Keep us updated and let us know how you get on, @motherscuffer!
  • motherscuffer
    Keep us updated and let us know how you get on, @motherscuffer!
    Will do, thank you. 
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Dear @motherscuffer,
    Sorry to hear you are worried about your son.  The leaflet that has been suggested above is the leaflet that all speech therapists give out when they see a child with a stammer as an initial referral because it gives the very best stammering advice.  I would strongly recommend that you call your speech therapist and tell them that you are worried, they may bring the review session closer.  Also, ask if there is a group that he could attend to have some regular input.
    Best of luck,

Nicola Lathey
    Independent S & L Therapist @ The Owl Centre
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • motherscuffer
    Dear @motherscuffer,
    Sorry to hear you are worried about your son.  The leaflet that has been suggested above is the leaflet that all speech therapists give out when they see a child with a stammer as an initial referral because it gives the very best stammering advice.  I would strongly recommend that you call your speech therapist and tell them that you are worried, they may bring the review session closer.  Also, ask if there is a group that he could attend to have some regular input.
    Best of luck,

Nicola Lathey
    Independent S & L Therapist @ The Owl Centre
    Thank you so much, I will have a read of the leaflet. I think his appointment is next week, but I will check! 
  • motherscuffer
    Arthur has now been seen by his neurodisability consultant and they’ve arranged an MRI for him, which should be in the next few weeks. I also had a call from the eye department today after I complained to patient services about the two cancelled appointments and they’re going to see him tomorrow morning. Hopefully we’ll have positive news about him soon and we can stop worrying. 
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Oh Gosh - we'll be thinking of you so please keep us updated.  Best wishes Nicola x
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • motherscuffer
    I’ve just realised we were talking about something completely different here! My brain is in a spin today and I’m a bit stressed. He’s seeing the speech therapist next week about his stutter, he’s also showing signs of a squint which is a symptom of optic tumours with his condition hence the other appointments! Xx

Brightness