Can anyone help me on housing issues?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone help me on housing issues??

Tiamara
Tiamara Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I got moved in to temporary accommodating January of last year, I was in receipt of JSA up until June last year the lady at the job centre closed my claim cause I was I'll to attend an interview, when I went to signed on they told me to claim for ESA, I did what I was told and after waiting for a decision the council saying to me I'm in arrears of £5000.+ in rent, since I've moved in to the flat the very same day the said I am in arrears of £92. But how can this be when I just signed the tenancy agreement the same the as the arrears?? Which of cause I never seen... Please can anyone help me!!!! 
Much thanks...

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tiamara and welcome to the community.

Unfortunately when your JSA was stopped they would have informed the rent and council tax benefit. These are then automatically stopped. What they often  fail to tell people is that they need to claim these two seperately. 

First of all it is not clear from your post, are you currently recieving any benefits? If you are living in an area which is covered by universal credit and single and you are receiving ESA or JSA via universal credit the chances are you are getting the rent paid directly to you, and you should have been paying this to the council.

On top of this, depending on the service charges you are paying you may not be getting the full rent amount.

I am a little surprised to hear that they have left the rent arrears to get so high before letting you know. You haven't mentioned if they have served you with a Notice of Seeking Possession (NOSP), which would be the first step towards looking to evict you - please don't panic about this.

Second you need to get in touch with the council to discuss your current situation. In general they will want to avoid evicting you, but will need to know that you can start paying off the rent at a level which is affordable to you. Alternatively they may be able to apply for the rent being paid directly to them if you are in a UC area, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

If you don't feel confident in doing this yourself CAB should be able to assist with this. Sadly your situation is not unusual, especially since the introduction of the Universal Credit.

@BenefitsTrainingCo and @Debbie_Scope are you able to offer further advice?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• pitcroft
    pitcroft Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hello

I am sorry to hear what you are going through.

Miriam
  • Tiamara
    Thank you very much Pitcroft its making me feel suicidal.. :'(:'(:'(:'(
  • pitcroft
    Tiamara

Have you contact both your local and national MP, they should be able to help you?

This site might help.

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Miriam
  • Tiamara
    Oh never crossed my mind thank you once again bless you!!
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tiamara I have sent you a private message. If you scroll up there is a grey box on the right hand side with your user name. Under this is 4 icons, if you press the second one from the left you should get the message.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• pitcroft
    Tiamara

It says there are no messages there.

Miriam
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Tiamara,

Thanks for speaking to me today. I hope it helped and that you're able to get some help with this. I know things seem bleak at the moment but these problems can be resolved with the right support. There's lots to work through and we're on hand to support you with information, advice and a friendly welcome.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Tiamara
    Thank you Debbie I am going to CAB tomorrow to speak to someone there about it.. Hopefully I can get to see them same day and to help me with the forms..

Thank you once again I will let you know the out come of it..
  • pitcroft
    Hello

How did it go at the CAB please?

Miriam
  • Tiamara
    Got an appointment tomorrow Thursday at 4pm will let you know OK.. Xx
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hope it goes well @Tiamara, keep us posted!
  • pitcroft
    Hello

How did it go please?

Miriam

Brightness