Benefits advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice needed

jennifer02
jennifer02 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all this is a long one .im disabled and my hubby is my carer . Hubby off work sick his ssp has now ran out .he gets carers now 62.00a week . I was getting esa until afew days ago .he was told to income support top up so he did . It was a joint claim he was told to do . Esa stopped cos of i s claim . Apparantly u can choose which benefit to go on its maddness .no one gave us any guidance as to what to claim whether it be income related or contrbutions based esa or income support .we get h b and c t benefit but we will be getting less than 100 a week .we have a grandchild too we bring up . No maintainence from parents .i was getting 109 a week on esa in my own right . We will be getting 159 a fortnight from next week .

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi jennifer and welcome

First, have you put your details into the on line benefit calculator ?

This will give you an indication of what may be available to you

You may be best advised to get f2f advice from CAB or similar

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jennifer02, and welcome! As CR suggested, the online benefits calculator can be a useful tool, and if you do want to pursue face to face advice, your local Citizens Advice may be able to help. If you have any other queries, just let us know! 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Jennifer02,

For the grandchild you should be able to claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit, unless you already receive money from the Local Authority or under a private arrangement.
    From the information you have given, your Income Support should be higher than what you have stated so you need to see an adviser face to face to check that all the relevant premiums are included. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.