PDA Autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PDA Autism

emmu
emmu Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi are there any parents of young adults or young adults with experience of PDA Autism I could talk to

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emmu, and welcome to the community!

I wonder if @julia340 or @psshh would be willing to chat about this? 
  • Nomanoba
    Nomanoba Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am the partner of a PDA autistic female.  I may be able to help.  I construct management systems for this disorder, and many others.
  • emmu
    emmu Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello Nomanoba. Thank you for responding. I could ask so much -I could write a book -but I will try to be brief. My 22 year old son is not diagnosed but absolutely fits the PDA Autism profile. Expelled from school, does not work or claim benefits. Alternates between living on the streets and existing here at home. I cannot understand how he can go forward. He has never experienced motivation; never tried; cannot be incentivised. Has never slept - night and day have always been the same. L work full time to keep us. When i stop 'enabling' and try to set boundaries he goes and  lives on the streets. What conversation or approach or place or organisation could help do you think? Sorry to bombard you!
  • Nomanoba
    edited December 2017
    Hi emmu, All this behaviour I can give answers to, and possible solutions. I will need more detailed information, and that can be achieved by me sending you a questionaire. If you can email me I can give you assurances of my good character as I am well known for many other things. I do not know how the email thingy works in here so I'll give you my email in here...It's ok, I'm public property. It will take a week or so for me to profile your son...it could only take a day, some people read easier than others. Anyway, get in touch when and if you are ready...be brave, which of course you are :-) [email address removed by moderator]
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nomanoba, we've removed your email address as sharing contact details on the forum goes against our guidelines, however it's great what you're willing to offer your advice. If you look on the top right of the page under your profile, one of the small icons contains a link to your inbox, where you can private message each other. Hope this helps!
  • Nomanoba
    Cheers for that...I'm a bit fearless lol.
  • fisheralison2006
    fisheralison2006 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello you can get more information on pda below

Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) is now widely recognised as a distinct profile of autism. Individuals with a PDA profile will share similar difficulties to others on the autism spectrum in the following areas:

• Social Communication Difficulties
    • ​Social Interaction Difficulties
    • Restrictive and Repetitive patterns of behaviour (including sensory seeking or sensory avoiding behaviour)
    More information can be found https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/what-is-PDA/about-pda

we are currently campaigning for more awareness - please take 2 seconds to sign our petition to ensure children and adults with asd PDA receive the correct support it is key to their success in life.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202680
  • Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    emmu said:
    Hi are there any parents of young adults or young adults with experience of PDA Autism I could talk to
    https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/families

Hi there is a mass of information on this link which includes support groups , diagnosis , techniques , Webinars to watch , how to collate information , out of area referrals . 

There is also a section for adults , families , Professionals , teachers . There are a number of Professionals who will work off Skype these days . 

There is also an enquiry line for information too . 
  • Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    emmu said:
    https://www.pdasociety.org.uk/adult-life

Hi,

I suggest you look on this link . There is an enquiry line where a trained member of the PDA Society will contact you to offer advice .

Professionals such as Laura Kerbey from PAST will offer support via email , telephone or Skype . 

There are also adult FB Pages especially for parents Carers . There are Webinars you can watch that offers techniques and Stratagies how to help .

iI have two young men with the condition , as yet do not have a formal diagnosis and I have been refused an out of area referral . Fortunatly I have a very supportive GP . 

I live in Scotland where the Laws are different for support and education .

Hope this gives you a start to get the support your son requires .

Brightness