Birth certificate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Birth certificate

alannancy
alannancy Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi can anyone shed light on the request for a birth certificate after being assessed for pip. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Not wishing to be indelicate, are you aproaching retirement age ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • alannancy
    It' my husband he's 56.
  • amar0
    amar0 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, I am almost 58 years of age, and I have also been asked to send my birth certificate, the original, not a copy, to allow my PIP claim to be considered, even though I have been known to them for over 10 years now. I called DWP to ask why they need it now, and I was told that it is probably because there has been a "mistake" somewhere down the line with my information.  I don't understand this, it doesn't make sense. Does anyone have any idea what's really going on ?
    Thanks.
  • alannancy
    I have no idea why they want this.Hopefully somebody can help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @alannancy, all I can see from looking online at ATOS is that birth certificates are accepted as a form of ID, although why specifically birth certificates have been requested doesn't seem to be clear. I've moved this post into Ask A Benefits Advisor to see if they have any further information.
  • alannancy
    That' great let me know if you get an answer.
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    You wouldn't want to be sending the original the way those lose things!!
  • alannancy
    I received it back yesterday and had to sign for it.
  • amar0
    Well at least we know it's safe on the return journey, I just wish the same arrangement had been made for the outward posting.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi alannancy,

I must say of all the clients I have dealt with none of them have ever been asked to send in their birth certificate for a PIP claim. They will ask for ID for anyone who declares themselves anything other than British on the claim form, but not specifically a birth certificate.
    I can only suggest that the date of birth given when you first phoned up and requested a PIP claim was different to what they had on the system, but I don't know how that could have happened especially if you have claimed other benefits in the recent past.
    The only way of finding out for sure is by phoning PIP and asking them the question.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• alannancy
    Hi thanks for your response. My husband suffered a brain injury after an accident in December 2012 .When we went for his pip assessment at the end of November we didn' take a form of ID  as I had forgotten I'm thinking it' possibly that.Do you know how long it takes for a decision as it' been 6 weeks now.
  • NannaJJ
    NannaJJ Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Does anyone know how to get a birth certificate for a child born in Canada to British parents living now in England. How to get a child a British birth certificate? 
  • alannancy
    The child would have had their birth registered In Canada so would have a Canadian certificate I would think.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi alannancy,

Yes it could be that, although I wouldn't have thought they'd have gone ahead with the consultation without the necessary ID but they must have done in your husband's case.

Lee

• amar0
    Please see my previous comment  -  I am born and bred in the UK and never been asked for birth certificate with previous PIP claims, now they "need" it, and not a copy, they need the original certificate. Something going on here, it just doesn't make sense.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    amar0,
    All that the assessment company or DWP need is proof that the claimant is who they say they are. That should be done by any accepted form of ID, which could be a passport, driving licence etc.

If they are insisting on a birth certificate and this is something which is difficult for you to provide or difficult for you to send out (due to the obvious risks of putting an original in the post), then all you can really do is complain. From time to time the DWP will check up on the validity of claims (even people who have been claiming for a long time) as part of their checks and auditing. So I suspect the request for a different form of ID is part of that.

But if it is something you don't have or do not want to send in the postal system then it might be reasonable to ask them to accept something else, or ask that you are allowed to take it to a local office rather than consigning it to the post. And if not, complain! Any complaint should explain why the original birth certificate request put you to extra trouble, expense, stress etc.

The basic advice is to complain if a request for information or evidence is unreasonable, and show how it inconveniences you. We're in a situation where so-called compliance checks are increasing - but that doesn't mean you have to comply with every request, if there are good reasons why you can't do so, or it would cost you money. You shouldn't be refused benefit (or have it stopped) simply because you don't have a particular document, especially if the request is unreasonable.

NannaJJ unfortunately we can't advise on nationality and citizenship issues - you have to be authorised with the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissoner) to do that. You could try looking for a local OISC adviser on gov.uk.

Will

• amar0
    I have no problem sending them what they asked for ie. the original copy of my birth certificate, and I've already sent it,  I would however appreciate a clear and honest reason for requesting it now, as it has never been needed in the past. I know there may be different reasons why people are asked, but I would like to know the specific reason in my case. I have called and complained to the DWP, but I just received a stock answer.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.