Help with gas and electricity bill? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with gas and electricity bill?

Brompton2017
Brompton2017 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone, I’m Diane and I’m new to the group. I have multiple illnesses and my gas bill is really big. Because my son lives with me his income is taken into account. Because of this I can’t get help with my enormous gas and Electric bill. Has anybody successfully received help.
thank you.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Brompton2017 and welcome to the community.

Have you spoken to your fuel suppliers? The larger companies at least should have a support team for customers with disabilities, long term illnesses and who are vulnerable. It might be worth talking to them if you can as they tend to be more sympathetic.

How they can help may depend on how you normally pay your bills, but it should be possible to arrange a payment plan to pay the bill over a period of time. They should also be able to check if you are on the best tarrif for you, or if another would be more suitable. 

One way they were able to help us was as my daughter has Aspergers and would panic if the electric ran out during the night, and we are on a meter, the electric will not cut off during the night, even if we have used up the emergency credit.

You should also check that you are getting any benefits you are entitled to. You can check this at https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

Hopefully someone else might be able to offer further advice on other support which may be available.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Brompton2017

Good afternoon it’s great to meet you!!!!!

Are you currently on any benefits  ??????

Have you a local “CAB” who may be able to help you ???

Please please contact our helpline if that would help??

I can also be off help to you 
    if required !!!

Please please let me me know ??  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness