Asd 16yr son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Asd 16yr son

blue63
blue63 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
edited December 2017 in Education
Hi my son is struggling in 6th form and has a statement  school don't understand  my son is now saying he wants to go to college  but I just don't know if he would be able to cope with college who can i talk to about this .

Comments

• Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi 
    You have already said that school don't understand, but they may still have access to information about support groups in your area.  
    Have you tried asking them for leaflets or phone numbers of people involved with ASD organisations.  
    Do they have a special needs co-ordinator there?  Even if they can't help him in school, there may be places outside of school that can.  
    Perhaps ask at the college he's thinking of going to, just to see what they can do to support students with ASD.  That might put your mind at rest a little.  
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I don't know much about Asd, sorry. But I am (was before becoming disabled) a 6th form teacher.

The one thing we begged for all the time was parents coning in and helping us learn about their sons and daughters so we could best teach them what and how they needed. 

Even if every one of your son's teachers know about his condition, they still need you and time with your son to learn about HIM.

In terms of him wanting to go to college. You know him best and I can only add that we had a range of teenagers a aaaaall different and many with different needs or SEN. It's true  college might not be the best way.... But it's also possible that with the right support  with lots of input from you and your son, communication with teachers that he could thrive and succeed.

And if he can't cope.... Well (without being flippant  as it's hard to hear my tone of voice here) there are many other 16 year old who don't cope with college so he won't be alone there. 

Is he in year 11? Have some good chats with people in his school. And if they fob you off keep trying till they talk with you both and you have some reassurance and a plan.

Is he year 11 or year 12?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @blue63 I have moved your post over to the EHCP category where perhaps @IndependentSupportServices could help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @blue63

If your son has a statement, you should have received a letter about transfer to an EHCP. You can contact your SEN officer or coordinator (they have different names in different areas but this is the person in the Local Authority who wrote/reviewed the statement) and request a transfer meeting as soon as possible. As part of this meeting, your son will be asked what he wants to achieve and what is standing in the way. If it is decided that an EHCP is necessary to support your son through his next phase of education, a plan will be put into place to ease transition into college if this is what he wants to do.

I suggest you contact your local Your local Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service team. You can find details for your local team by doing an internet search for SENDIASS and your town/area. You can also search for the SEND Local Offer which is a website detailing all support available for parents of children with SEND and has many useful contacts.

There are also some support groups running across the country. You can find further information through the link below from the National Autistic Society about being part of the community

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community.aspx
  • blue63
    He has an echp  thank you for your reply.
  • blue63
    Hi  could I just ask my son has ehcp and on the section  f  it's says 1:1 sessions with academic mentor 1 x week 1hr session   they are not doing what it says on section f  if they where I feel my son would not be struggling as much as he is they say he does not want the help or need it but he has ehcp and there are more things I just feel so sad just cos he is so  different at school thand at home they just don't understand. 
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @blue63

The Local Authority have a duty to ensure that provision stated in Section F is happening. Please see the link below for a model letter to send to your LA to address this.

Your local I suggest you contact your local Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service team. You can find details for your local team by doing an internet search for SENDIASS and your town/area. 

They will be able to provide specific information and advice tailored to your situation and what support is available in your area.

If you have any difficulty finding your SENDIASS team, please email me on charlotte.collison@scope.org.uk
  • blue63
    Hi I have spoke to them from sendiass they said to talk to the school I have left email to the senco teacher and emailed connexions the lady that's on the top of the ehcp she said she would have a chat with my son but I sent email back explaining how he was finding things hard to cope with waiting to hear  back.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Have you heard back yet?

Wishing you both well xx

Brightness