I lost my mobility grant and carer when my twin died suddenly — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I lost my mobility grant and carer when my twin died suddenly

Carolrobinson
Carolrobinson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I lost my mobility grant and carer when my twin died suddenly. She was my carer and life. Does any one know how I can get some support. Walking getting bad bit difficult getting on and off buses. Shopping becoming impossible I am struggling alone. I have no family or support. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Carolrobinson and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your twin.

With regard to shopping is online shopping an option for you? 

@Debbie_Scope can you help with advice on how Carol can get some local support?

Carol, Debbie is one of the help line advisors and very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but I also know she is very busy but will respond as soon as she can, usually between Monday and Friday. If anything is becoming urgent please call the helpline on Monday 0808 800 3333 - the call is free. 

In the meantime you should check that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to, and can do this by using the Scope benefit calculator at 
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check as some benefits are doorways to other forms of help.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carolrobinson

Good afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

Please please take us as your new family/support network !!!!!

Please let me know if I can help you in anyway ????

Many thanks.
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi @Carolrobinson
    Just a thought, if you need any medications, many pharmacies have a service where they can deliver supplies directly to your door.  You just need to give them a call and ask.
    I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling alone, bereavement is a huge issue to have to cope with.  Some areas have bereavement counselling which might help you; keep an eye out for leaflets or posters in libraries or public spaces for counselling services.  Only if you feel that'd be helpful of course.  Talking to other people can help so much.
    There's no doubt, others on this page are facing similar challenges, I hope we can help you face the days ahead.  All the best. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carolrobinson, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope you find the above advice helpful: definitely give the online benefits calculator a go, and do phone the helpline if you need urgent assistance. You can also search to find a local bereavement counsellor near you, if this is something you'd like to pursue. In the meantime, do let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with and the community will do its best to support you.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Carolrobinson,

Welcome to the community, I hope you've found some comfort here and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I need some more information from you about the loss of your mobility grant.

Were you receiving DLA or PIP when your sibling died? Do you know why your mobility was stopped, has anyone given you a reason why this happened?

I'd like to help you work through it all but I need to know more about your situation. If you not comfortable sharing this on the community, send me a private message or email me at helpline@scope.org.uk and we'll do our best to get you all the information you need.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • felix
    felix Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hi @Carolrobinson,

I just wanted to drop a note to send you a cyber hug. It's not much, but please know that it's genuine and everlasting. 

The advice and friendliness above is amazing, and we are here for you. 

felix xxxxx
    felix xx

Brightness