When are you classed as disabled? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When are you classed as disabled?

Sharonamey
Sharonamey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
When are you classed as disabled?

Comments

• anixous2017
    anixous2017 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Don' understand I am epileptic I am registered as disabled. 
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    It's a tricky question.  I have Inflammatory Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis and other auto-immune issues, so I class myself as disabled...but in the eyes of the government I'm not disabled enough to receive benefits.  So officially I guess they don't think I am?
    I suppose the answer is, when your illness or disability seriously impacts enough on your life and restricts your day to day routine, inside and outside the home.  
    If you're wondering about qualifying for disability benefits and entitlements, there's a whole section on the forums about it.  
    You could try posting on there?  I'm sorry I can't be more help.  It's such a small simple question, but there's no easy answer, as far as I know anyway.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • anixous2017
    Yes my epilepsy has never been controlled I have over 18 absences a day and gran mal 3 + a week, I have severe anixousty problems and depression.  Some days I wish I wasn' here, then 4 weeks ago diagnsed with lung cancer.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sharonamey, and welcome! As the others have said, it's a subjective question, but a disability is defined as 'a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities'. If you're asking in terms of what you may be eligible for due to disability, the NHS Choices website has some great information on this.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Hi @anixous2017, I'm so sorry to hear that things are tough at the moment.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on taking care of yourself. We also have a mental health advisor who can advise you on any specific issues.

• anixous2017
    No just had a bad day cough getting me down , and the pain in my chest and shoulder , then get over anixous  .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Sorry to hear that @anixous2017, I hope the rest of the day is as kind as possible to you, and that easier days are on their way.
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @Sharonamey
    i think that is an interesting question: ‘when are you classed as disabled?’
    Sometmies you are asked a similar question on Jon application or DWP forms: Do you consider yourself disabled?

Perhaps there is two types of disabled: the registered disabled and the unregistered disabled. Tobe registered disabled implies the government thinks or has criteria your condition is severe enough to stop you doing or need help or aids to do everyday stuff.  

To be unregistered red must mean either your disabilities are not severe enough for the government to register them or maybe some people do not think they are worth registering.

yep definitely provokes discussion

Brightness