Hi, my name is Tracymesser! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tracymesser!

Tracymesser
Tracymesser Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I suffer from fibromyalgia, depression and recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my knees. I am morbidly obese currently weighing 148 kgs according to the consultant I saw. He said he could not replace them until I had lost at least 50 kgs. On the way home from the hospital I just wanted to drive at something and end it all. I have always had a problem with food and I think food is controlling me. I can not get about very well, I have to use crutches to get about. I am in pain from the moment I open my eyes til the time I close them.  I need help and don't know who to talk to.

Comments

• Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Tracymesser 
    Thanks for joining the forums and welcome.  :)
    Life sounds very difficult for you at the moment and I'm sad to hear you're struggling.
    I'm sure there's others here who can relate to what you're going through and they will be able to offer support and advice.
    Please do browse the forums and make yourself at home, you are not alone with your struggles and please don't give up hope.

We have a diet and nutrition advisor on here, if you look for the section, perhaps she would be able to help.  
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracymesser

Good morning & welcome!!!!!

I’m very sorry to hear about your current situation. 

We have got a number of Advisors I will pass your post on to one of these to help you if that is ok !!!!!!

Hi @KirstenNutritionAdvisor

Can you please help me with this post ???

Many thanks.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracymesser, and welcome to the community: we're all here to support you wherever possible.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on taking care of yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

As has been mentioned above, we have some great advisors and friendly community members, so do get involved and we'll do what we can to offer our support. 
  • Tracymesser
    Tracymesser Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the welcome. It would be nice to talk to someone who is able to relate and not feel sorry for me. Thank you all for the kind words.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracymesser welcome to the community and I am sorry to hear that you are struggling.  As Pippa says, if you need support for your mental health you can get in touch with Samaritans and MIND.

Did the doctor offer any support for weight loss? The NHS has a weight loss programme and you can ask your GP for support with this too.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hello @Tracymesser I am so sorry to hear you are having a hard time. 

Im not sure if you know this but a few years ago I suffered from the most horrible depression and I too didn't want to be here....I'm so glad that I didn't act on it and now I have a life completely different to the one I was living 7 years ago. We don't know what the future holds and trust me when I say that it can truly be something far more amazing than anything we can ever imagine!! 

I know sometimes life can present us with things that seem so over whelmingly hard but please know that you can do it, you may not believe me but please reach out to people ask for help. 

Ask your GP to refer to you counselling sometimes just having someone to listen to can make all the difference or ring the Samaritans or get intouch with MIND I realise all those things can also seem overwhelming too but little but little day by day your circumstances can change!!

In regards to losing weight again the same attitude of baby steps can help you too, go meal by meal day by day just focus on making the best choices you can. If changing or making food swaps it too difficult at times just try reducing the amount by one or two mouthfuls these may seem like small steps but they will all add up!!

Try to break it down not looking at the over all weight loss. Just focus on eating the most nourishing meal you can each meal at a time and one day you will look back and see how you've changed.

You can do it! Please please please reach out if you need more specific nutrition advice I'd love to help you shift the weight you want too and I truly believe in you. 

Sending you a virtual hug. X 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'm sorry you are going through this but perhaps there is a good side to this. It sounds like losing weight might not only get you the surgery but also help with your problems. Ok, I make that sound easy I know but now you have written evidence to push the system into giving you appropriate support. It can also be viewed as a goal for you to achieve, giving yourself purpose.

7 years ago I had allowed myself to get to 23.5 stone (146Kg odd) and had simply accepted it. Fortuitously I could not continue my eating habits and now weigh 14 stone (87Kg odd). In my case I was under no instructions to lose weight as it had no bearing on my issues. I had been given token support previously but it didn't work for me.

Try to view this as a positive situation.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I joined a slimming club this year, I was initially unsure about it but I lost nearly 2 stones in about 5 months and I have kept it off.  For me it was about a re-education to what foods were better for me and what foods were worse.  I am never hungry on this new regime as I can eat as much as I like of certain foods.

I still have biscuits and cakes and I actually appreciate them now rather than mindlessly stuffing them in my mouth and not enjoying them!

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness