My son's health problems and work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son's health problems and work

Anonbon123
Anonbon123 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
My 25 yr old son has not worked for 3 years due to chronic pain syndrome, fibromyalgia, TMJ, headaches etc. He has been treated at hospital for 3 years and is on waiting list for inpatient pain management programme. He has never claimed benefits and although I am on pension credit I have been keeping him for 3 years. I need advice on what the process is to get started on benefits. What comes first, the GP signing him off, or him going to Universal Credit first (active in our area) and also what benefits would he be entitled to. He is in constant pain every day from morning to night and medication does not help with pain. He is worried that I will get in trouble if the DWP find out I have been keeping him for last 3 years as I a on guaranteed pension but I am running out of savings and can no longer afford to keep us both in food and clothing. Advice would be gratefully received

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Anonbon123 and welcome

First thing is to put details into the online benefit calculator
    Your son might qualify for PIP. Try the B&W self test to see

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There is lots of info on this site about benefits so please have a look round
    Please do come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Anonbon123
    Thanks CockneyRebel. What I really need to know is where he should start i.e. with his GP signing him off sick or whether he should just go straight to the Universal Credit. The problem is, I think they will ask him what he has been living off for the last 3 years and that involves me and my benefits - I am on PIP and state pension. Can they ask to see his bank statements etc. which will show that I have been paying in money to his accounts?
  • CockneyRebel
    This is an unusual situation so you may be better ringing the Scope help line for clarification or go to CAB for f2f advice

CR
  • Anonbon123
    Thanks CR. I will try CAB.
  • CockneyRebel
    I don't think you have anything to worry about but they might be curious why he has left it until now to claim in his own right.
    Please come back and let us know how you get on

CR
  • Anonbon123
    Thanks. Originally he thought he would get the pain sorted quickly and therefore I said I would help support him but now he has been told by hospital that his condition is permanent.  Because of his pain he has low mood/depression/anxiety and lack of confidence and self esteem - basically he is frightened to claim!! Now he just worries that if he claims I will be penalised in some way.
  • CockneyRebel
    You have only claimed what you are entitled to and supported your son from your savings. I cannot see how you could be penalised for being a caring parent

CR

• Anonbon123
    Thanks a lot CR - much appreciated.
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @Anonbon123
    i would guess your son needs to see his GP at least to get signed off sick and unable to work, if not to find out if there is anyway he can  be registered disabled.

That would allow him to put in an application for Universsl Credit presumably under the guise or similar terms to what would’ve been ESA benefit previously.
    The Universal Credit application is necessary also not only to see if he can receive the benefit payment, but also the payment of the national insurance credit or stamp as it used to be known.

And also an an application for PIP. 

definitely check this out with either the helpline here or CAB as @CockneyRebel is suggesting.
  • Anonbon123
    Thanks Neil - I appreciate your feedback and will take your advice.

Brightness