Wheelchair License — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair License

Pinkbutterfly
Pinkbutterfly Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
Hi, my daughter's tutor has said she needs a wheelchair licence to go outside the college for a Christmas meal. Does anyone know anything about this? I will ask tomorrow but can't find anything online to say it's necessary.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pinkbutterfly the tutor is talking rubbish.

You don't need a licence to use a wheelchair. If your daughter has a 'class 3 invalid carriage' - these can be used on the road, and have a maximum speed of 4mph off the road, and 8mph on the road it has to be registered, but still no licence required.

Refer the tutor to the following site if they don't agree with this:
    https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules

If they still refuse to accept this then they are discriminating against your daughter, by way of exclusion, and you may want to consider making a formal complaint.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have never heard of a wheelchair licence either! What happened with this @Pinkbutterfly

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pinkbutterfly
    It was ok in the end. What the college staff meant was the test my daughter had done years ago to prove she can drive the wheelchair safely outside. I don't think my daughter understood what they were asking!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it is all sorted!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Pinkbutterfly I can not believe what are am reading.  I wonder if he said that so your daughter could not go.  Please can I suggest that he needs to be talked to.  Breaking every discrimination law out there surely.  I would suggest a complaint.  I wonder if it worth looking at legal implications if this tutor insists going down this ridiculous path.  I feel for you and your daughter I hope and pray you can get this sorted.  Our community has suffered enough with this tutor making problems and causing unnecessary obstacles to someones happiness.  Best wishes and you have my support take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pinkbutterfly
    She was able to go. I explained that it was a long time since she had done the 'test' and the member of staff involved said that was fine. I suppose they are worried re health and safety.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Pinkbutterfly Thank you for replying.  Glad it is sorted Best wishes take care.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness