My carers experience — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My carers experience

Abi10
Abi10 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, 

My experience of being a carer has been a long one and fairly complicated as well. When i was a lot young primary school aged i lived at home with just my mum and my brother. We are a normal family on the outside bit get to know us more you find thing out and nobody got to know that i was actaully a carer from my brother who had autism and my mum with BPD at that time. We went with little support from the NHS and my grades slipped alot but i really didn't carer 
This is myself and my brother. Like i said he looks normal but really he isn't. 

About 2 to 3 months after that picture was taken my family moved areas and i had a stepdad and this is where the fun starts to happen. My stepdad has osteoarthritis and struggles to walk so doing simple tasks like answering the phone got harder for him. My mum and brother both continued and i continued with low grades and always being bullied for bing abnormal but i didn't care. 

I moved schools, finished high school with 3 Cs, 6 Ds, and 2 Es. Wasn't a great time for me i got turned down by colleges and sixth forms and this lead me to self harm alot more. 

Getting into college, i managed to get support for myself not just for my college work but also just to have someone there who i could talk to about things at home. I was completely unaware that 3 years ago she supported my brother in college as we both went to the same college and still now we talk about him and his autism but all in a positive light. 

Still to this day i enjoy life as a normal person. I am a young adult but i will aways be a teenager until im 18. Any questions don't hesitate ask or advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Hope your all well. 

Speak soon

Abi

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Welcome Abi. I applaud your commitment to family but you must develop a life of your own too. This is why I have never allowed my children to care for me in day to day terms, suffering without help rather than impinging on their lives. They will be around a lot longer than I (hopefully) and deserve a life of their own. I do, in private, moan about them and their lack of support at low times but overall I am glad they have managed to develop their lives.

I hope things go well for you.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Abi and a very big and warm welcome

Thank you for joining us and sharing your story. You truly are an inspiration. We are hear to listen, help and support you in any way we can. So please just shout out if yyou have any questions

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @Abi10
    Thankd for your post on being a carer. Good to know it is going reasonably well.

All tge best in your education.

Brightness