Hi, my name is SharonOffler! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SharonOffler!

SharonOffler
SharonOffler Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My daughter sent her PIP tribunal appeal forms off at the end of October. They signed for it on the 27th October but too date we have not received any communication from them.  Is this normal? I have tried to find a phone number to ring to ask what is happening but cannot find one! What do we do now?  We live in Chesterfield Derbyshire. Am concerned! 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sharon and welcome

Was this your submission to the tribunal or your application form SSCS1 ?

If your appeal has been accepted then you should have phone number on the acceptance letter

Tribunal dates can be anytime from 4-8 months

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SharonOffler, how are you doing? Have you heard anything yet?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi SharonOffler - we'd be happy to give you further guidance on this on the Ask an Adviser part of this site. As CR says above, there should be a phone number on the correspondence you have already received about your appeal. If you can't find anything, then the normal PIP enquiry number is now 0800 121 4433, and you could always call them and ask how to proceed with getting your acknowledgement from the tribunal service. It can take ages to get a tribunal date, but it's always a good idea to start preparing your case well in advance. This means doing some research on the PIP points system, working out which points will apply, and then trying if possible to get some good quality medical  or other evidence to back up your (or your daughter's) case. Being properly prepared will help you get to grips with the appeal papers when they eventually arrive, and will help you feel more confident on the day of the appeal. There is a website called www.benefitsandwork.co.uk, which has very comprehensive resources to help with appeal preparation. Although it is partly a subscription website, people on benefits get a reduced rate and can then access support from experienced moderators and other disabled people, as well as download written resources. Please get back to us if we can help you further and good luck to your daughter for her appeal (but preparation outweighs luck!). Remember that the success rate at appeal for PIP decisions is around 60%, so go for it!
    Regards,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Hi and welcome @SharonOffler . I'm afraid I cannot help with your request but wanted you to know that others are here and can offer assistance on various subjects.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • SOB
    SOB Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello,
    Have you been intouch with CAB, they have helped alot of people.
    If you are claiming ESA for some it can help to give you a better chance with
    applying for PIP. To me the system seems to be strongly against the
    sick & the poor. But don't give up or give in!
  • SharonOffler
    Thanks for all your kind responses. First, it was Poppys application to tribunal to which i have still had no response but, I did manage to find  a telephone number for the tribinal office who confirmed receipt of her application. I asked why i had not heard anything they responded with that DWP had failed to respond at all to the tribunal office request. Therefore Poppys application was going in front of the judge whereby they would be given a time to respond by. Still not heard anything so I assume the DWP still havent responded. 
    I do have letters from Poppys consultants who confirm what her permanent diagnosis are and the impact they have on her daily life but the DWP literally said that the letter from the top Neurological Paediatric Consultant didn't matter! We are not giving up and i am gathering information to help her case. The DWP also made errors in their responses to our applications saying we did not tick boxes when we clearly did because I have photocopies.  Going to be interesting. Looking forward to our tribunal, whenever that may be! 
    Sharon
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @SharonOffler

I suggest you ring the Tribunals Service again to find out if DWP have responded yet.
  • SharonOffler
    Today, Poppy received her first letter from the tribunal office confirming that DWP have still not responded to their letter and have not supplied any information. DWP were requested to respond initially on the 30th October! DWP have been given 7 days from yesterday to respond if not an oral tribunal date will be set by order of the Tribunal Judge as soon as possible. Poppy has been asked to provide copies of all correspondence she has received from and which we have sent too the DWP. I have already done this in our appeal to the Tribunal Service but will send all again. This request has been made because the DWP have failed to respond to all communication. It beggars belief! Has anyone else been in this situation.
    Sharon
  • SharonOffler
    Definately in need of some help.  DWP have rung this morning offering Poppy a deal/compromise. They admit they have made a mistake and that Poppy is entitled to Daily Living Allowance which they confirm they will agree too if Poppy calls off the Tribunal. They cannot agree to Mobility because the consultants letters do not contain the words "50 feet!" For her mobility but do accept she has problems. I asked if we still went to tribunal what would they put in their comments towards Poppys claim for the Tribunal and they replied they would recommend that Poppy should get Daily Living Allowance . So, my gut feeling is still to go to tribunal and try for mobility too if the only reason they haven't given it is the lack of wording.  Could we argue that at an oral tribunal? They have said we need to make a decision by Tuesday as this is their deadline given by the Tribunal which seems unfair to be pressurised. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The simple answer is to get consultant/GP to write a letter which includes the distance that Poppy can walk. For guidance purpose this from B&W site

12. Moving around.
    12 a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    12 b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    12 c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    12 d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    12 f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, �(i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

If Poppy fulfills the criteria for the mobility award then you should fight for it. The DWP seem to make it hard so that people give in and accept less than they are entitled to.

Good luck

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't necessarily need to have a doctor's report saying how far you can walk to get PIP mobility.  I had no recent medical evidence to support my claim because my doctors do not know how far I can walk, only ever having watched me walk in and out of the consulting room.  I was awarded standard mobility after assessment and enhanced mobility after tribunal hearing, both based mainly on my own testimony.  The only medical reports I had were from 1988, when I first claimed DLA which stated that my rheumatoid arthritis does cause mobility issues.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.