WHY DON'T WE DREAM WE ARE DISABLED? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WHY DON'T WE DREAM WE ARE DISABLED?

B1nkyb00
B1nkyb00 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
I had an accident when I was a child, which left me in a wheelchair. I am now an adult married with kids.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I'm "disabled" in my dreams.!! Why is that do you think? Im always "walking" around with ease getting on with my life or what ever random scenario I dream! I have spoken to other people in wheelchairs who say the same thing!!! Id be interested to hear what your experiences are. 

Comments

• Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @B1nkyb00
    An obscure but interesting question. Perhaps you would need to ask some sort of dream analyser expert for the definitive answer.
    Maybe in our dreams we are in the perfect world and therefore don’t think in the subconscious mind of disabilitities? But then why do we have nightmares or dreams were something goes repetitively wrong? Don’t know.
    Maybe contact someone like Paul McKenna as does a lot on hypnosis and dreams.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @B1nkyb00 I can answer that but before I do let me assure everyone this is only my belief albeit born of many years experience and no way would I try and impose this on anyone. I am a Spiritualist and fully believe we all have 2 bodies, our earthly physical one that gets sick or becomes disabled and eventually "dies" and our ethereal body which leaves our physical body at the time of death. However it can also do this at night. (Astral travelling). Science is on the verge of discovering that our consciousness does not originate in the brain but that the brain processes the awareness like a television or phone signal. Therefore you can be consciously aware when outside your body which is how you remember your dreams. Let me ask you if you are actually aware you have a body in these dreams? I have dreamt that I can fly, or that I've fallen off a cliff or sinking into deep water yet am never harmed in any way. There is a difference between these dreams and normal ones when you are usually outside a situation looking at a film like senario. Lucid dreams are far more real, in colour and your mental clarity is so clear that you can think and make decisions and have conversations with people and decide when to return. I won't continue but well, you did ask, and as I say this is only my belief. Just to add, however, that there is a huge amount of evidence for this.   
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you wildlife, it would be interesting to hear some more about this, maybe in its own thread

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    @CockneyRebel At the risk of being ridiculed by the staunch Orthodox Church goers I will wait and see what reaction I get from this post first. I am Medium Bookings Secretary and on the committee of a Spiritualist Church which is only a mile from my house so know a lot about this subject. Fire away with any questions you may have... 
  • CockneyRebel
    It is a very interesting subject and I think a lot more people need the opportunity to at least hear about it. I have attended many meetings and healings, I can see and feel aura and often take to astral travel to take a break from my earthly body.
    I do hope you will feel able to share more with all your knowledge and experiance it will be interesting to learn more

CR
  • wildlife
    @CockneyRebel Basically when history is studied this is only a return to what humans believed in in the past but when Christianity came along it was suppressed by Religious leaders who indoctrinated the masses to believe in Jesus Christ as our Saviour. So are we born sinners? I don't think so. What sin has a new born baby committed? Although Spiritualism is now a recognized religion there is no indoctrination. No-one tells you what to believe. We do have 7 principles to live by, 1 of which is Personal Responsibility. We don't believe God or whatever you want to call him/her punishes us but that we review our own lives in Spirit. In many NDE's this is experienced before the person is sent back. This happens now because of modern medicine that can bring a person who is technically "dead" back to life. So we've had the witches who were actually Mediums (we all know what happened to them) and come full circle but with modern technology more experiments can now be done to prove that consciousness exists outside the body and therefore can continue on after death. For us who are suffering so much in this life as our physical bodies begin to deteriorate I find this so comforting to think that one day I will be free of this but still able to think and continue to exist. I have had many experiences in my life mostly in dream state but do not claim to be a Medium. These have occurred at times of extreme stress as a sort of release from the suffering which at times became unbearable. (I've been diagnosed with Complex PTSD so far off the scale there is no funding for treatment). One night years ago after a terrible day when we'd had the police out to one of our adopted sons both of whom became violent in their teens, I fell asleep exhausted and was met by a group of young people 12/13 of them, dressed in white robes with a yellow glow around them. They were giving out love that I could feel and they took me to a room with a bed in it and told me to rest and that they would return later. This they did and they then took me to a room with a table laden with food. We sat around and ate and talked but what I remember was an incredible atmosphere. I woke feeling so calm and totally at peace, so different to how I should have felt and I knew I'd been given a break that I desperately needed at that time. That and many other dreams that were not your ordinary confused scenarios have brought me to where I am today: a 67 year old lady riddled with pain and discomfort after 9 tummy operations, damage from keyhole surgery, 5 road accidents and 40 odd years of acute stress this, like you say, is a form of release. 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have only recently begun to discover the energy that spiritualists believe in but, in most people, it is simply an internal untapped energy that can assist the body in a number of ways. It does though allow connections to be made to other people over distance. I think that one day scientists will come to prove that this is the basis for the science fiction principle of telepathy. However, we make unseen connections to people ALL the time and I have a scientific theory I may share someday regarding how it creates & breaks friendships and how it explains love and all the other unscientific twaddle that most people believe in. Still.... this is all off the point, so sorry about that.

Dreams and nightmares are presumed to be the brains way of coping with situations in real life at a subconscious level. Personally I have extensive experience of both but mostly nightmares as I have been suffering one or other every night for more than a decade and a half and sometimes more than 1 per day. Doctors are too ready to blame them on strong medication but I have had to put up with them for longer than any regular medication strong or not. I do however know for a fact that the strong medication has 2 effects on them. One is to make them last longer both physically and subjectively. The second is that once the medication rose above a certain strength it suppressed a lot of my memories of them, I only knew I had had them due to the state I was in on awakening. I do remember some though.

In 2016 I went into a coma after becoming unconscious for some hours. Initially in the coma I could not breath unaided so, for a short period, I died. There was no out of body experience or any other sort of experience. Everything just went black. Nor, when in a coma, is there a continuing dream throughout. That is just a program producers inspiration to make a good story for TV or for book writers to do the same in print. I know this because firstly I am used to them being extremely long in subjective terms. Most people have very short dreams or nightmares lasting subjective minutes or occasionally hours. Mine last subjective days or, very infrequently, weeks of subjective time. When I was brought out of the coma it took 3 attempts and each time I had a memorable dream. When they explained what happened and how I reacted during each attempt all of the 3 related to the 3 attempts. None were in any way religious but then I am not a religious person so wouldn't expect them to be. I do distinctly remember long periods of darkness so dark I couldn't see. Nor could I feel or sense anything.

Like you @B1nkyb00 I was not disabled in any of these or any other dream I can remember but then the people in them and at the ages I dreamed them to be I would have been healthy at that point in my history. Ofc this would not explain your situation but then it is my belief that we would not, except perhaps very occasionally, dream of ourselves as disabled but would incorporate the projected healthy viewpoint constantly shown us as how we are supposed to be.

It is true that we don't always dream we are a complete person and hence the flying or falling or being unable to run away scenarios. We do dream in both B&W and also in colour. Personally I find the colour ones to be both longer and more frightening.  I am sure some will disagree with me, some always do, lol! I must admit though that I suspect the brain always tries to put a nice twist into dreams to make them pleasurable and hides things that would make nightmares even more scary than they are. After all, if it is a purposeful process there is little point the brain conjuring up a situation that you would want to forget.

Unfortunately dreaming is a subjective experience and is most likely related to our belief systems. Consequently everyone has a different perspective and content, making it difficult to cross-reference with others accurately.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    @wildlife Thank you for sharing, I understand and hope we can continue to share, I know you will understand much that others dismiss as fantasy. I may at somestage be able to share my journey so far.

@Topkitten Thank you for sharing. There is much in your post and I would like to hear your scientific theory when you are ready. We are all on a journey for want of a better way to express it, some people are further along than others. Some people haven't started yet and don't know that they are going on one.

One of the limitations is trying to express and explain in words, things that are only understood outside the common use of language. For a long time only what could be seen and touched was belived. Historically many people have tried to take on the task of starting the journey for others, only to be ridiuculed and their efforts  subverted by "science " and greed or turned into a  "belief system".

@Binkyboo sorry for disrupting your thread.

If any one want to carry on this discussion maybe we ought to take it to its own thread

CR
  • wildlife
    @CockneyRebel Can I ask you to start a new discussion as you may like to link it to this and I don't know how to do that. I see this as all one subject but a very wide and varied one. The posts so far reflect different beliefs and I respect each person's view point. I will leave it to you.
    Pat     
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Pat
    I have done my best. We must all respect othe points of view even if they are greatly oppsing our own

CR
  • B1nkyb00
    B1nkyb00 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    thank you so much for all your thoughts, I'm enjoying reading them all. no need to disrupt the thread, please feel free to continue :)
  • CockneyRebel
    I have linked this in some way to

Linking ( hopefully ) to another thread

Please respect other people points of view, this is a wide and varied subject.
    This is no place for confrontation but sharing experiance and knowledge even if at odds with your own. Only by sharing can we learn and understand a little more

Thanks

CR
    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/38729/who-are-we-and-why-are-we-here#DirIFEUEyEQW3KBA.99

Brightness