Pip claim query — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip claim query

debsidoo
debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
I had a home assessment yesterday with Capita.Nobody showed up.On contacting them it appears the assessor arrived at the wrong house.Description didn't match my place.Now been told my application has been closed as I didn't turn up.I and my daughter were in all day.Can they do this as the error was theirs?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to ring the DWP asap and tell them

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @debsidoo No of course they can't. As @CockneyRebel has said ring DWP and tell them what happened. Capita can't close your case if it was them you rang as your claim is with DWP. So ring them and ask what will happen. There is a process for this sort of thing. Suggest you repost in ask a benefit advisor for more advice. It isn't your fault. You could also complain to Capita by letter or email and tell DWP you've done that. Insist you have another assessment date sent to you asap..
  • debsidoo
  • debsidoo
    Many thanks,will take on board what you have both said.Dwp won't even comment until Capita have got back to them.Have sent email with photo to Capita as all houses on our estate have green doors and Capita managed to find a red one to knock on.I am now waiting to see if they will accept this as a reason to rebook appointment,woman on phone was evasive about it.
  • wildlife
    @debsidoo, Don't trust anyone. Whenever you speak to DWP or Capita ask the name of who you are talking to and log the time and date of the call and what was said. This is collecting your own evidence. Hope you get this sorted as you have done nothing wrong..
  • CockneyRebel
    If they refuse to accept this involve your local MP straight away.

CR
  • lottiekins
    lottiekins Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hello,

Have you heard anything further?

I have just had the exact same thing happen to me, and its really stressing me out. I have tried to contact capita and the DWP, but capita claim I am lying, and the DWP have said they will close my case if capita tell them it was me who didn't attend - even with the person who was with me calling up to tell them she her side of the story.

Would love an update if possible - hope you are ok,

Lottie.
  • debsidoo
    Thanks Lottie.
    Update is that Dwp accepted my side of things backed up by a quick google to confirm no red door on our estate and it has been referred back to Capita.Am still waiting on appointment date.Expecting to hear in next couple of weeks.
    Will keep you informed.If you have any proof you did attend either a witness or otherwise ask for a mandatory reconsideration against the decision to find you at fault or speak to a Case Manager.I found Dwp quite reasonable once I explained everything to them. 
            Debsidoo.
  • debsidoo
    For those of you following this,I finally had my assessment today.Lasted about an hour.Most of that was typing up.
    About half of the questionnaire covered although some doesn’t apply in my case a lot was not bought up at assessment.The only physical exercise I was asked to perform was to squeeze his finger with left hand.
    Not even asked much about walking either just how far I could go before stopping. Not interested about following a journey either even though I have eyesight problems a lot of the time.He did ask about my adaptations so I had my daughter show him round.
    Seemed a little too straightforward so does not bode well.
    Just waiting now for the big brown envelope.So thanks all for your help,will probably be back in a few weeks with more questions.
  • debsidoo
    Just a quick update.Finally had notification letter this morning.Was awarded enhanced for both elements.The decision maker has looked at my medical records so all I can say is please remember to include as much as possible when applying.Also the assessor has reported things accurately in my case,so don’t automatically assume that they are all devious as was not the case for me.So try not to be a bag of nerves as I was,he actually was quite reassuring not like some of the experiences had by others.
    Thank you all for the advice and reassurance especially Wildlife and CockneyRebel.Thanks also to the advice team.
              Debsidoo.
  • CockneyRebel
    Great news Debsidoo and well done.
    Thanks for a positive post that will reassure some going through this.
    Now you can relax and look forward to the new year.
    How long is your award for ?

CR
  • debsidoo
    Thanks CockneyRebel.
    My award runs until November 2021 but I think they can call you up for reassessment about 12 months before to allow for the time it takes to process an appeal.xx
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo said:
    Thanks CockneyRebel.
    My award runs until November 2021 but I think they can call you up for reassessment about 12 months before to allow for the time it takes to process an appeal.xx
    If life hands you lemons make lemonade
  • CockneyRebel
    i like lemonade :D

it should say on your decision letter the date of re assessment which is usually a year in advance. When the new decision is made it supercedes your current award. so relax until 2020

CR
  • wildlife
    Great news @Debsidoo You can now relax and enjoy life as much as you are able. All the best for the future. Let's hope I get an honest assessor next time.. 
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

Brilliant news @debsidoo I cling to the hope things are getting better with the assessors as a lot of claims do seem to be proceeding with no trouble now.

• debsidoo
    Thanks Rosiesmum.x
  • mandy_joseph
    mandy_joseph Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi
    how worrying for you, I would explain about the anxiety this has caused you also and the stress it has put you under.
    are you involved with your local social care team “benefits and assessments team “ they could contact them on your behalf to complain or put your point across, they can also bring it up at meetings with DWp about what is going wrong. They also help with form filling and using correct wording. Hope this helps I also know they could be a waiting time for this team to help you , but if you are already involved with them use them.
    Good luck , and shame on you Capita!!
    mandy
  • debsidoo
    Thanks Mandy Joseph.
       Have just seen my award notice and think assessor was pretty accurate.x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.