Book Club - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Book Club

2»

Comments

• secondbee
    secondbee Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi @Stayce

I am slowly working my way thru a true crime book about Jack the Ripper which has lots of interesting animations, showing where someone went on a map, for example. I got that one from Kindle Unlimited and it’s a great read. 

I am also reading “The Self Care Project” a book recently released by the people who make Buddy Boxes. It’s a good little self help book about making the time to properly care for yourself; both in the sense of ensuring you have your meds and take them and also making sure you take time to do the things you enjoy. It’s good to be reminded from time to time. 

Are you hoping for books for Christmas? What’s on your list for Santa?
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited December 2017
    Hi @secondbee

Those sound interesting.

On my list are the new Philip Pullman, a graphic novel series by Joe Hill  -Locke and Key and Chris Difford's biography

How about yours?

Best
  • secondbee
    edited December 2017
    I am looking forward to reading Anna Kendrick’s autobiography, the “To Kill A President” book (one of my prompts for my reading challenge next year is to read a creepily prescient book), and Other Minds, a book about the octopus and how it evolved intelligence far from what we understand as intelligence because our last common ancestor was so long ago. I’m very into octopuses in general. 

Hopefully Santa checked my amazon wish list lol! @Stayce

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I am currently reading Star Legions: The Ten Thousand series, by Michael G Thomas. It is based on an ancient greek story and the rebelliion in the persian empire by Cyrus the Young.  Told mainly from the perspective of a young Xenephon. However it is set in the future and space. Original names, locations, rankings are used. Cities and empires are alliances, planets, colonies etc.

I will probably look up the original tale when I am done.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Hi @Stayce  and all
    Wondered if anyone watched The Miniaturist on BBC1 over Xmas a two part drama and also has read the book it is based on by Jesse Burton??
    Have seen the tv programme. not read the book. The book according to online info has won awards in 214z
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'd love to join in with this but I only read when in bed and I am going through a phase of being uncomfortable and unable to sleep in bed, so just doze off in my chair instead.

I was almost at the end of the first of a two book book about the British Army in the early 1900's (fiction) but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the book or author, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • secondbee
    @Neil2017 I’ve read the book but I didn’t realise there was a tv program. Will try to find it! Very much enjoyed the book. If I remember rightly it’s recommended as a Mood Boosting Book via the book prescription team. 
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    I am reading a book called 'Abducting a General"at the moment about a couple of SOE opetatives on Crete.. It was made into a film in the 1950s and I was given a copy for Christmas. As much as I want to see it I want to finish the book first.  
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I just finished Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickman and loved it!! Would definitely recommend.

Also if you are part of a book group, you can apply by 20 January for your book group to read and review Alison's White brilliant memoir about her experiences as a mum of a child with CP, Letter to Louis, published by Faber Books.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • DylanEvans
    DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Currently reading (well, listening to) How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. It's my second time reading one of his books (also read the excellent The Humans) and I really should read more. The narrator for his audiobooks is great too.

I'm also reading The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth, which is fun if you're a bit of a language nerd.
  • belle46
    belle46 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi @Neil2017 I read The Miniaturist really enjoyed it and would recommend it.  I recorded the tv adaptation but haven’t watched it because it was a bit close to me finishing the book but I will watch it.  I’m reading Fire and Fury the book about Donald Trump (with a large pinch of salt I would add!)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, just to let you know (if you haven't already seen it!) we're giving away some copies of Letter to Louis by Alison White.

Brightness