disability housing abuse discrimination rights — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability housing abuse discrimination rights

stevek84
stevek84 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
hello, i am looking for advice related to (disability housing abuse discrimination rights)
my situation is i am currently an exluded occupier in the flat i was abused in by the tenancy holder (my father) due to the effects of abuse and my own physical and mental health limitations (agoraphobia axiety depression incontinence bowel issues) i am unable to leave or locate new accomodation in the private or social housiong sectors i have no ability to view properties or determine suitability i also have to find property for between 300-400 pcm which limits it to shared accomodation which due to disability is not suitable so i am stuck and need any help advice as if i cannot leave which clearly i cant i will be taken to court and evicted and charged costs for this while leaving me homeless? i cant win if anyone has experienced similar or can advise or point me in the direction of some advice that would be great. thanks again 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stevek84 and welcome

This does sound like a very difficult situation. You may be best advised to ring the Scope help line to get better help than the forum can give

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • stevek84
    hello CR and thanks for the welcome. 
    yes it has been ongoing some time and where i live I.O.W there is limited fiunds and support it seems. i did try the line but was a little near the deadline i will attempt to again tomorrow, just thought worth seeing if others had similar experience or any advice to offer or could maybe signpost me to the relevant places. thanks again for your input much appreciated as i believe your right probably too complex case.

thanks steve
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hi @stevek84
    So sorry to hear life has been such a struggle for you recently.  I'm sorry I can't offer advice that would be of much help to you, but there are others who know more about housing issues on here.   The helpline CR recommended sounds like a wise move.  
    Are you with a consultant as regards your conditions?  I know that if our health is kept as manageable as possible, it's often easier for us to cope with life and difficult decisions.  
    Please do have a look around the forums and see if there's any posts or resources on here that might help you with some of the problems you face.  If nothing else, please do remember that we're always here and we will support you as best we can.  
    Hoping for better days for you. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stevek84
    Welcome to the community and I am sorry to hear that you are struggling.

@Debbie_Scope can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • stevek84
    morning guys thanks for all the friendly welcomes and psitive input, ive not had much of that even from the places you would expect mentsl health social care etc, so is much appreciated i will try to contact the helpline today as suggested but any more input advice would be greatly appreciated. 
  • lucycherish
    lucycherish Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Contact your mp if you have already tried all avenues with the local council/housing. I've got my mp on speed dial these days haha! Really hope something gets done soon x
  • stevek84
    Hey lucy hope you had a good xmas, yes i have tried my local mp also but no joy, i live on the isle of wight and things seem a little slower here in that sense most of the major or national charities dont have anything here. Thanks again lucy happy new year.  
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @stevek84 Did you manage to get hold of the support line?

As you are only entitled to the shared room rate I am assuming you are under 30?

Unfortunately the situation you are in is not uncommon, and is more due to legislation than the council abusing you. Do you claim PIP and if so what levels do you get? Also are you on ESA and which group, support or work related activities group? These could affect which level of LHA you are entitled to.

If you are having trouble getting through to the Scope help line you can email them at helpline@scope.org.uk if you give them a brief summary where you are at currently with regard to the eviction and a contact number they should be able to help you.

The bad news is that it is unlikely you will keep your current home, assumining it is at least a two bedroom home. One reason for this is that the LHA rate is unlikely to cover the rent and you would soon get into arrears and evicted any way. If you have not found yourself somewhere before being evicted you could present yourself homeless and you would be assessed if they have a duty to rehouse you, but even if they did this is likely to take time and temporary accommodation is not alway great. 

The helpline team will be able to go through your personal circumstances with you and be able to help and advise you. They are also good at finding local support services. So even if you cannot get through the telephone helpline please email them. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• stevek84
    hello geoark, thanks yes before xmas spoke to debbie she tried to explain things but im.not in a good way so much of it didnt go in or stick. i am 33 i was on DLA until last oct (same time as abuse was uncovered by GP) wheb my DLA ended for switch to PIP however i didnt get a letter to.tell me to make the switch i saw adverts over the year but didnt make the connection as had all this (abuse case going on) and despite what he was doing my dad was also my only support so had no help to do it in any case i dont currently get PIP but have applied And no DLA as it ended but was lower rate at that time, so i am just ESA (support group) now thats 250 fortnight.

i have contacted via email debbie and zoe before that as i mention debbie spoke to me.more in depth prior to xmas but ibe just been in a bit of a hole since as im agoraphobe and have no family friends or support here so just existing until the holidays are over when people come back but up to now (this been ongoing since oct 16) the support hasnt been great if no existant thats why im still here now as a squatter really bailiffs court etc ive never been in trouble really let alone court etc so im.terrified and the agoraphobia anciety health issue side i think i need to be gone come the 7th jan and thats a extention i had to get as none of the people supposedly helping did, so that was from 7dec-7th jan.

yes its a 2 bed however the rent is 398pcm so is affordable in.fact more affordable that anytjng i can find at 300pcm.shared.rate or.even 400pcm in fact whilst i been looking late nov i cant find anything suitable for 475pcm maybe its as its isle of wigjt? so in any case im tild id gave to top up but topping up to 398 is not as bad as tryimg to.top up to 475. 
    this is my worry as a agoraphobe with anxiety and toilet issues and going from.10+ yrs being shur in isolated and abused. i would say any shared situation is unsuitable for many reasons. 

sorry for long reply i tried to keep.brief i have asni say contacted and believe debbie SCOPE is going to het back to me at some point but i don't believe there is a lot she or anyone else can do? dad controlled all bills and now has stopped paying them as hes moved so tv gone internet phone gone too and elec water will be next sorry if i am unable to reply to mails or calls at any point. 

thanks steve 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi steve

Under no circumstance should you move out until the baliffs come to enforce your eviction. I know this is hard but if you move out before you will be making yourself homeless with no right to even temporary acccomodation.
    As the tenant has moved out, have you approached the landlord to see if they will transfer the tenancy to you ?

Best wishes

CR
  • Geoark
    Hi @stevek84 I'm glad to hear that you got through, and I know @Debbie_Scope is really good at this stuff. I know there is a lot to take in and you are probably not at your best to absorb everything. You could ask Debbie to summarise the main points for you in email, but again I know they are very busy at the moment.

Just checked through what you said and you are getting the 1 bedroom LHA and not the shared room.  There are a range of 1 bedroom flats in this price range on the Isle of Wight, so in part it would depend on how particular you are about the general area you would prefer to live as to availability.

There are additional costs, usually things like a deposit and having to pay in advance, plus moving costs. I am not sure what support there is for you at present towards these costs.

• stevek84
    Hello cockney rebel thanks for input, however im being pressed to leave threatened with court homelessness told to find suitable property which i cant as only get shared room rste which by definition as i cant share due to my mental health and toilet needs, so its hard to just stsy put its torture everh min of everh day my anxiety is triggerred. Used to just be when dad was abusive really now its every day and they cal, it help i was better off when being abused. 

Yes i did theh say no right to succession shame as my toilet needs are met here and have quiet location peaceful and some support all be it limited from neighbours.

Thanks CR alk the best for the new year 
  • stevek84
    Hello again geoark, yes Debbie is grest but is limited in whst she csn do your right im not absorbing it at all really. 

As for room rate i have been told its 298pcm there are no suitable properties on the isle of wight in this price rsnge i have looked on right move and others since mid to lste nov. The best i could find was 465 and 475 not ideal but close to suitable. As for area im open really besides the obvious regsrding my issues so not on a busy high st or similar or multi blocked flats for example. 

Yes im told council witll help with deposit rent etc but not agent fees 

From whst you said earlier about this place and affordsbility do you think it is an option in some way? I have asked but seems unlikely. As i would prefer to stay here for many reasons suitability location and affordability and practical side moving possessions etc as i have zero support in these areas being agoraphobic makes it impossible to do much of what's needed i have requested a mentsl health support worker but wss told to wait for my dad to die for the abuse to stop as a support worker wasnt in their budget despite being offerred one a month earlier told its what i needed help me get out baby steps introduce me to going out little by little as ive been housebound over a decade and abused over that time very little to no outside social interaction? I have no real life skills or basic understsnding of whsts rewuired for my current situation and any advice i do get is impossible to act on. Particularly without help support which im not getting currently 

Thanks again for your input/advice much appreciated

Steve
  • Geoark
    Hi @stevek84 Sorry my memory got this wrong, you don't get the LHA rate for a single bedroom until you reach the age of 35. I should have checked before I posted.

I am going to say that CockneyRebel is 100% correct, as you are due to be evicted do not leave before this happens. To be honest sorting something out at this stage is unlikely. It sounds mad but once you are evicted the council has additional responsibilities towards you, rather than in your current position. 

• stevek84
    Hi geoark, no problem its very confusing.

Its strange for me as i havent left the house much in many years so to say leave it to the point of homelessness seems madness to me as i want to do all i can to prevent that or any similar scenario shared accoms b&b etc as it will be bad for my health. 

Thanks again

Steve 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There are times @stevek84 when, no matter how bad we are, the system simply lets us down and puts us in impossible positions. As has been said you must wait for the eviction, no matter how bad this makes things, unless you do have a real option as an alternative. Once the eviction is done and dusted you can fight to be better housed and, if you have the problems you state, I am sure whoever you might have to share with would be very supportive. Try to make the best of it and follow the rules or you can guarantee to be even worse off.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • stevek84
    Hello TK this year its been bad mental health saying wait for dad to die is just one example its been one thing after another.

Ok thanks im trying to hang in there stick with it but its crippling me with anxiety has been for months time is going so fast as its every min of every day always the same, time is differrent when your shut in this way and constantly triggered with anxiety and depression the days blend together. Going from this being shut in to that out there is terrifying more than anyone who hasnt been there can know, add the bowel issues to that and you can probably imagine how much my head is spinning and that in turn has an effect on the bowel/stomach more spasms pain sickness etc a viscous cycle.

How will i fight to get better housed in my situstion i cant go to places where there are people without support (support i dont have) how can i do any of whsts needed in thst situation without help (help i dont have) council have said they will help with rent deposit etc but i have no way to access that help without support the shared room rate by definition isnt suitable

Due to my situation i cant be round people they might be fine but i wont and my bowel issue means i cannot share a toilet, and i cant find suitable housing for the price range in my area im stuck in every way as even if i could locate properties suitable i cant go to view them or do the logistics of a move.

I know its hard for people to understsnd but i have been shut in for a decade or so with very little human contact just my father who I lived with who abused me no friends family or visitors, i do not know how the world out there works and i cant manage my health issues in that situation and have no friends or family for support and no support worker or similar as despite my anxiety depression and agoraphobia im told they aren't qualifying criteria to be assigned a support worker or be provided any councilleing for the abuse or agoraphobia etc. I dont have the tools needed to exist out there for a afternoon let alone days or weeks or months in a homeless state?

I can go places do things bowels permitting with support if i had it but still no busy places like in a shop with lots of people so i literally cant do whats needed as it would be extremely difficult with supoort and medicstion but without it impossible.

Thanks again for your info/advice/support appriciated as always 

Steve 

• CockneyRebel
    Hi Steve

I do sympathise with your situation, but that is not going to help you.

This may sound harsh but a wise man once said " if you do the same things all the time you will only ever get the same results " ( or words to that effect ). So you are going to have to find a way to change things for yourself.

You have to draw on your inner strength that has got you through all the bad things you have been through. Even if you cannot see it, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your situation has changed, now you have to change with it.

We can help and advise you, try to point you in the right direction but you have to find a way to do the physical stuff. Start with something small, change one small thing, take control.

At the moment your situation seems overwhelming. Somethings you cannot change, somethings you can. You have already started to change things by talking to us..
    There is a saying that when a butterfly flaps its wings a torneado is created on the otherside of the world. Little changes can cause big reactions.

What is it that stops you doing things ?

I don't know how your condition affects you but I also have a bowel and bladder problem which takes careful planning if i have to leave home, even just to go to my GP 5 minutes away.

You are going to have to fight, you do need support and it is out there. Don't let them ignore you, pester everyone until they have to take action. Become a nuisance.

In an extreme case, I know of a claimant that had to go to assessment as he was not believed, He had a GP letter saying that he coud not go. He also had a bowel problem. He should not have had to attend but the result of his proof did require a bucket and mop.

Have you heard anything about your PIP claim ?
    This is something you should now be chasing up. Positive action brings positive results.

CR
  • stevek84
    Hello CR thanks all the same.

I do understsnd that (the definition of madness/insanity einstein) however this csnt be applied to situations where you cant do things more apllies to repetition of something you can do and do repeatedly, but i get what you mesnt by it.

I have been this way many years if there was something i can do i would have my GP has tried also i have had all meds for things she believed it was and recently she stopped tresting as they didnt work so wss getting side effects but little to no relief. Inhave been back since to ask for alternatives and suggested them myself askd for tests and re tests (bloods/stool alergy intolerance candida etc) only so much i can do to help myself and disheartening when drs even give up. 

Talkimg by email is one thing phine is harder but ive been pushing myself this year to do that more face to face is hardest even one or two new or even familiar faces is hard im often physically sick panic attack etc not very nice wsy to be the anxiety triggers sickness bowel spasms pain etc so a bit of a vicious cycle being agoraphobic is a big challenge obviously in ten yesrs or more ive only left the house with dad which was rare part of the control etc i have not been around people at all really i know thats hard for some to understsnd but think of it like a goldfish you bring it home in the bag u dont just tip him in as that would shock him so you place the bag in let him climatise esse him in to his new environment i have no support in this area and no way round it the bowel issue onviously adds to the anxiety and the anxiety adds to the boweel issue as i say a vicious cycle then theres my teeth i fill my own have done for yesrs now the sickness the reflux the lack of sleep and the fatigue due to all those things and currently the added issues depression grief getting head round whsts happend and happening aremt helping as ive gone from secure as in roof over my head but abused to no abuse but no security i was better off in the prior situation despite abuse as at lesst abuse wasnt there every minute of every day like this yes there wss fear but i knew where i stood with it.

Oh i dont i get on to them despite my issues and how they effect me i have tried to contact for help all this year and looked to organisations charity myself as local services werent helping or were unprofessional i have pushed myself to breaking seeking that help it has been noted i have been failed in every area by local services. They say you can always complain? I dont want to complain but asked if that would bring me help i wss told likely not just compensation? I dont want compensation i need help support?

I have had a home assement for this when on dla man was here 5 mins and said "ive seen enough" i tried to call him back but he repeated no ive seen enough. My bowel issue rsrely requires a mop as im at hime every room is yds (5 or less) away from toilet that's why id like to stay as altohough i have good toilet access here its still not fool proof but better than what i may get else where and definately better than shared room put it another way nobody else would want to share a toilet with me. 

No i havent but it wss only a few weeks ago i sent back mid to lste december i think, i qualifies for lower rste dla befoee but if i am no longer eligble then it will further efdect my situation as with pip i would be able to get suitable property with a top up that i could then afford but without all i can find is shared and fsr from suitable in towns busy crowded places. 

Its hsrd to be positive right now CR but thanks for the encouragement and support. 

Steve

• Geoark
    @stevek84 you are right I do not know how you are feeling, but I do appreciate that this is a very difficult time for you, and unfortunately it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Actually I am very concerned for you, for a number of reasons including it is obvious you will not be able  to cope being homeless and your mental health will deteriate quickly but also I am not convinced you will be able to initially cope when you do get your own place even if it is a one bedroom flat.

There is a possible alternative action you can take, and it is not one I have ever recommended before, so will be flagging this with Scope so you can get better advice about this option. Please do not act on this until you get further advice.

If your anxiety and/or depression are getting worse to the extent you are considering self harming or commiting suicide you can present yourself to your local accident and emergency and ask if you can be admitted as a voluntary / informal patient under the mental health act.

This will put you in a safe place and get help with your anxiety and depression. As well as assessing and treating any mental and physical illness you should also get help in assessing what happens when you leave hospital. 

As I said I am not convinced you will cope with a tenancy, and please don't take this as a criticism, many people more capable than you struggle with their first tenancy. Some of it will be walking you through about priority payments, budgetting, making sure you are gettting the benefits you are entitled to etc. Some of it will be down to some of the practical things like shopping and taking care of yourself. 

This might be able to be done in your own home - not the one you are currently in - or it could mean a stay in a part way home or sheltered housing initially. 

In short it could be the gateway to getting the additional help you need and hopefully help you with the fact that you were in an abusive relationship with your father.  

You can find out more at https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/voluntary-patients/overview/#.WkjRUTeWTIU

@RebeccaMHadvisor do you have any further advice?

Brightness