Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Arnold
Arnold Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
What happens when I have to get in touch with DWP about cancelled assessments ?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    That depends on the reason for cancelation and whether it is ESA or PIP
    If you have cancelled once then you should have made a new date which you must atted unless you can show good reason.
    if you have failed to atted a second assessment, tha AP will return your file to the DWP. They should then write to you asking for your reason for not attending. If they don't accept your reason your claim will be closed.
    You will then have to ask for an MR and probably take it to tribunal just to reopen your claim. You will then if successfull have to attend an assessment 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Arnold
    Thanks was given a date for the 4/1 which I phoned and got another app which the lady said was for the 27/1 I phoned because I didn't have confirmation letter and was told my app was that day in 10 mins I live 5 miles from assessment center so they gave me app for the 29/12 which I attended that's when they told me the app had been cancelled and they had been trying to phone me which is a downright lie and to phone DWP in 4 days I told them they were lying about phone calls and today I've received a letter for assessment on the 27th Dec I am going to see my mp on Tuesday to discuss with him what's been going on what do you think ??
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi Arnold.Speak to someone at DWP about this if you get no joy ask to be referred to a case manager.Tell them exactly what happened giving dates and times when possible.They may be sympathetic and refer you back to assessor
    Or you may have to reapply it depends on the circumstances of the cancellation.
    I hope you get a reasonable response.
  • CockneyRebel
    Ok If I understand rightly
    You cancelled your first appointment for 4th jan and made a new app for 27th jan for which you didn't receive conformation
    When you telephoned, they cancelled the appointment on the day you phoned that you were unaware of and made a new appointment for 29th dec. When you arrived for this appointment they told you that it was also cancelled and to ring the DWP. You have now received a letter for an appointment on 27yh dec which is obviously of no use.

If this is correct then you have only cancelled the first appointment and they have cancelled the others.
    You are still entitled to make a new assessment date as that will be your second arranged by you.

It is confusing and involving your MP is a good idea to cut the DWP B*******

please let us know how you get on
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Arnold Just to add that whenever you speak to anyone ask their name and tell them you're keeping a record of the time and date of the call and what was said. I suggest you now make a formal complaint to the assessment company describing exactly what has happened and asking for another appointment with plenty of notice that you can attend. Carry on phoning people though to give your side of events. All calls are recorded so you will be covering yourself by doing this..   
  • Arnold
    Do you know the phone no for the assessment company capita ???
  • CockneyRebel
  • Arnold
    Phoned capita got the truth I think was told there assessor had been ill but are still saying they phoned me to cancelled ass didn't know what to say when I told them I'd got phone records showing they hadn't but they are returned my file to DWP phoned them explained what had happened they are arranging another ass for me so hopefully all's well will let you know what happens 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    ArnoldArnold,

Hopefully this is all sorted. Thanks CR, wildlife and debsidoo for being there and your good advice.

It sounds as if your assessment will progress as usual but I would keep records of all your contacts (letters, phone calls etc) as wildlife suggests, just in case you need to prove that you did everything you could be expected to do, and it is Capita's error.

Even if it's all going to be fine now, may still be worth mentioning to your MP as an example of how assessment companies say they've rung you when they haven't!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Arnold
    Will do thanks all 
  • Arnold
    Phoned up DWP Friday was told my case had been put to a case manager at capita had got to wait there decision my money was not stopped so just waiting to hear what happens if they close my case ???
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    I hope things work out for you @Arnold - do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • Arnold

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.