Pain and Living — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain and Living

gill2014
gill2014 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my name is Gillian and I am new to this site. I have Spina Bifida, psoarasis. Scoliosis and suffer from depression. I am looking for some help I currently live in a 2 bed flat with my partner and my little girl but had asked the council for a 3 bedded home due to medical equipment. I am at a loss as yo how some people seem yo get everything handed to them on a plate and I need to fight it but the problem is I don't know how to fight it. Also does anyone have an Arnold chairi malformation type 2? Xxxx

Gillian xxx

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gill2014
    Welcome to the community.  What have the council said to your request for a 3 bed?  Have you tried filling in the benefits calculator to check you are claiming everything you are entitled to?
    @Jude62 has spoken chairi malformation of the brain before, could you offer any help Jude?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gill2014, how are you getting on?
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @gill2014

Have you had a response from the council to your request to be rehoused in a larger property that can accommodate your equipment?

My experience of supporting people looking for housing is that nobody gets housing just "handed to them" these days as there is such a national shortage of social housing, and especially accessible housing. The key to getting re/housed is really to ensure that you provide sufficient evidence to the housing provider of why you meet their criteria for rehousing, and why you should be a priority.

So in this instance that probably means reports and supporting letters from your GP, OT etc stating that the medical equipment is essential and that it can't reasonably be stored in your current accommodation. If you can evidence that your current lack of space is significantly impacting on the health or wellbeing of you or your daughter, that may increase your priority.

Unfortunately, depending on what housing stock they have available, you may still have a long wait as homeless people with children will nearly always be given priority over others on the list.

Best Wishes

Jean 

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness