Benefits questions help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits questions help

jimmcc1967
jimmcc1967 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Found site while looking into benifits while waiting on appeal , first post I seen was very similar to my own I was put off ESA after an assessment. I was taken for assessment by my daughter as I cannot go out on my own or on public transport , on arrival we waited 30mins to be told my file was lost and an other appointment arranged ,a couple of weeks later a new appointment was made , because my daughter could not get more time off it was arranged by DWP assessment centre a taxi would collect me and return me home after appointment, when at appointment I was seen by an assessor who told me she didn’t suppose there would be much change from my last appointment and she didn’t have much information uther than my award was based on an appeal. She asked what medication I was on as I couldn’t recall everything she said she’d just put don’t know l won’t go into everything but result was I recieved a letter a couple of weeks later my benifits had stoped and I was fit to work !  I had scored O points . As I was not on ESA on appeal the appeal had been 4 years earlier and I had been yearly and since receiving Pip sometimes twice a year my last two scores were 27 points and Pip don’t want to see me till 2026 , the last assessment barely 12 months ago it beggars belief how her decision was made . I will be on medication for the rest of my life having two strokes neuro surgery with a host of other ailments anxiety ,stress , depression to name a few , unable to dress myself and need help with hygiene and won’t leave house . As I am not alone in these ridiculous decisions how do they get away with it , do they know the effects their decisions make to already vulnerable people the stress and anxiety caused and consequences to relationships and families.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimmcc1967

Good Evening & Welcome my Friend.

1. We have got lots of info on Benefit’s
    2. There’s also many members in the same situation.
    3. There is also “Benefit Advisors” on our site.

Please please let me know if any of these would be useful for you ????

Many thanks.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimmcc1967
    I have moved your post over to the ask a benefits advisor category where I hope you will get some support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @jimmcc1967

Glad to hear you've got the appeal under way already!

From the perspective of a professional working in the field, the decision making really does seem to have gotten worse since the introduction of ESA, and that's not mentioning the fact the descriptors have already been tightened up so much that a iot of disabled people are excluded even when the decision making goes well!

Perhaps something will change with them eventually - they are more than aware of the impact. But I'm not hopeful it will be any time soon.

If you have the resolve, get your MP to make a complaint, this has to be added to their statistics and they care about that more than the vulnerable claimants who are left struggling.

Let us know how you get on!

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.