BLUE BADGES ANOTHER TRIAL AND ORDEAL — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

BLUE BADGES ANOTHER TRIAL AND ORDEAL

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello just received after a week waiting my application for a blue badge came through the door.  I asked about going on line very uneasy about this. Say it is easy but found out need digital photograph plus I am not good with these things on line.  Anyway got form a six page one of every probing sort of inquest in my disability and lots of point of rules to prevent fraud.  Am I naïve is it possible now why just invite the applicant in when due date. All applicants to show medical evidence plus any supporting evidence.  I know it is a lot like the assessments we all go through but it is another level of form filling that shows the amount of time wasted on bureaucratic time and energy.  How many times do we have to prove ourselves.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• JPHouslay
    JPHouslay Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Agree totally and now councils are only giving them to higher rate PIP awardees.
     I can only go out rarely because I can no longer get a blue badge.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Each Council has its own policy on those discretionary decisions where the enhanced rate does not apply.

To be fair, the level of fraud by non-disabled people has been very large in the past. Cars have been broken into just for the badge too.

The councils are trying to operate their system as cheaply as possible so having a few people checking online forms is how it's going to be.

Thankfully, my county has been very fair and co-operative.
  • thespiceman
    Thank you for comments just finished filling this form in started before 2pm just finished about half hour ago.  I know restrictions are being the norm.  As with any systems there are flaws.  Hopeful to get this.  It would be great as I do struggle walking.  I know it varies from council to council who gets the badge and feel for those who do not get this.  The criteria is getting narrower and the cost is going to rise.  Those who qualify.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    JPHouslay said:
    Agree totally and now councils are only giving them to higher rate PIP awardees.
     I can only go out rarely because I can no longer get a blue badge.
    This isn't true. You automatically qualify for a blue badge if you scored at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of PIP mobility. If you didn't then each council have their own criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Around a third of all Blue Badges are currently issued to people who receive
    the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA. As DLA will no longer exist
    for people aged 16-64, the DfT has decided that people in this age group
    should be automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if they score 8 points or
    more in the ‘Moving Around’ activity of PIP. This activity assesses a person’s
    physical ability to get around and a score of 8 points or more will be awarded
    to people who are either unable to walk or who cannot walk further than 50
    metres. This means that future eligibility for a Blue Badge will be as similar to
    the current eligibility criteria for the scheme as possible.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Hello thank you for the information.  That is what I like about this useful info I do not know.  I will keep this in mind when applying.  I know I was speaking to various people over the weekend the cost varies from council to council.  Amazed at the wide spectrum of cost of a blue badge.  Anything from £10 upwards.  I wonder if this is a plot by councils to put our community off who need this help to stop applying.  Am I being cynical?
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    Hello thank you for the information.  That is what I like about this useful info I do not know.  I will keep this in mind when applying.  I know I was speaking to various people over the weekend the cost varies from council to council.  Amazed at the wide spectrum of cost of a blue badge.  Anything from £10 upwards.  I wonder if this is a plot by councils to put our community off who need this help to stop applying.  Am I being cynical?
    Why would it be a plot? The small cost of the badge whether it's £10 or £20 is a small price to pay for a few years of easier parking. My council didn't send me a renewal reminder and by the time i remembered the date was almost up. It took a few weeks to renew mine therefore i was without it for this time. I automatically qualify because i get Enhanced mobility PIP. It was awful parking without it!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • thespiceman
    Hello I agree with your comments about the blue badge.  I am truly grateful to have one at present.  One point I was trying to put across the form I got sent can I explain first took over a week to get to my home.  I rang first thing and it arrives a week later.  Then a six page form plus all the information on the form states lots of restrictions and also the costs photocopying evidence that your are qualified for a blue badge plus postage.  It all adds up.  Also you might not qualify this time as it says on the form.  I struggle every day with my motobility and have sometimes not got a disabled space and had to park a bit further away.  I hope that explains everything
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    I did my renewal online and then sent in my evidence. Took 5 mins online. If you scored at least 8 points in the moving around part of PIP or have high rate mobility DLA then you'll automatically qualify. Photocopies don't cost that much and mine was sent with just a first class stamp because it wasn't that heavy. So, i'm sorry i don't agree with you on this one. This cost a small proce to pay for easier parking. Especially having been without mine for a few weeks.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    As far as I know the definition of distance for a blue badge under DLA was being unable to walk 50 metres which has been reduced by PIP to 20 metres. I must admit to being more than a little annoyed when people park and use a blue badge then toddle off into town or Tesco's with little problem at all walking hundreds of metres if not miles. Especially when I am loading or unloading my electric scooter as my only means of even leaving the car park.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Hi does anyone now what they do when you are assessed for a blue badge.  I used to get it before my PiP was taken away from me last year and my badge ran out last week.  I rely on my badge to assist me to get out of the house otherwise I stay indoors most of the time.  The disabled parking has been a god send over the past 3 years, so I am dreading going for this assessment, it all relies on this as to whether I get it or not until my appeal hearing for my PIP is heard.  They send me my letter on Monday saying that they have added my appeal letter in with the 230 they already have.  It's a terrible system to be in, but I have no choice at the moment.  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Ritzy

Have a look at the CA link below

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/applying-for-a-blue-badge/

Please be aware that loss of PIP mobility component means that you are no longer entitled to use your blue badge

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Ritzy
    Thanks I will look at it and try and see what I can do.  I am dreading the assessment on Monday.  Wish me Luck :)
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Ritzy, you might pass the Blue Badge assessment - many do, I understand.  Someone I know had a BB assessment at home.  They asked him some questions and watched him walk up and down the stairs.  All fairly straightforward and he was awarded a Blue Badge.

Good luck on Monday!
  • Ritzy
    Thanks reading this has made me feel a little bit better.  I'll let you know how I get on.  I'm also having an endoscopy the same afternoon so things are all over the place for me at the mo, had injections in my hip on Wednesday plus manipulation under a general anesthetic so still feeling under the weather, being sedated so if I don't get back to you Monday I'm out of it... :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ritzy
    Hi ya
    I went for the assessment and my daughter came with me.  When we got to the Library there was a notice on the door saying it was temporarily out of use and that we had to walk round to the front, we noticed that there was a lady in an office looking at us, and it made me think that this was a set up for the people who were coming for the blue badge assessment.  I managed to walk round slowly stopping a few times, still being observed by this lady, as I am still recovering from my hip manipulation last week, I explained that the door was shut and all she said is 'I know'....... Anyway I showed her the medical evidence, and she asked me questions about my everyday living, who looks after me, mobility, how I cope daily, and then we went for a walk outside, because I had walked round the building to get to her I couldn't do it, too painful, so I was honest and said, sorry, can't carry on, and that was that, we went back inside, she typed up her assessment and thanked me for coming.  If it goes against me, so be it, but I wasn't going to push myself anymore, my hubby moved the car nearer to the entrance so I didn't have to walk that far.  It's a case of waiting now.  Along with waiting for the outcome of my PIP tribunal.... It's too much... Fingers crossed x  

Brightness