Advice on referral form to an educational psychologist - can you help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on referral form to an educational psychologist - can you help?

sarztoz
sarztoz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in Education
I have just received a consent form for my sons referral to an educational psychologist which needs returning ASAP. I'm looking for as much advice and information as possible, we've been trying to get a full assessment for years and only now since he started secondary school have we been taken seriously, they saw what primary school ignored. I don't want to mess it up by not asking the correct question or missing important details out. T.i.a for any replies, Sarah

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Hi @sarztoz

Is this referral as part of the assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan? If so, the psychologist will use the information you submitted at the start of the process and advice from the school when assessing your son's needs. 

A starting point may be to think of his strengths and needs under the following headings:
    Speaking, listening and joining in
    Knowledge, skills and understanding
    Feelings and friendships
    Hearing, listening, physical and independent skills

If you ask your son and yourself the following questions, you can make it clear to the psychologist what direction he wants to follow and what the current barriers are:
    What would he like to be able to do in the next 2/5 years?
    What would you like him to be able to do in the next 2/5 years?
    What skills do they need to make this happen and who could help them develop these?
    How does your son want to be involved in decision making and receiving information?

You can get more specific advice by contacting your local SEN and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service. You can find them by doing an internet search for SENDIASS and your area.

Brightness