Support for son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for son

jane436
jane436 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi Im Vic, ask me questions about parenting and SEN.

Comments

• jane436
    jane436 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi vik. Am feeling quite low because of my son (ASD) and his lack of sleep. He's becoming very manipulative and controlling. I can't seem to prize him away from his xbox . He was taking melatonin liquid then gp changed to tablets which he says give him headaches. Due to start high school this sept and he's already indicating that he won't go. I'm at a loss what to do. I'm a single mom and don't have much support. Any advice would be appreciated x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hi @jane436, so sorry to hear that you're feeling low. It certainly sounds like you have your hands full and I really hope we can help you. Our parenting advisor will be in touch soon, and I wonder if @IndependentSupportServices can add anything too? In the meantime, you may be interested in our recent ASD discussions and our parents and carers category too.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ParentingAdvisorVikki can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @VioletFenn do you have any thoughts?

We have a lot of information on challenging behaviour that might help @jane436 and also some information from the National Autistic Society here.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ParentingAdvisorVikki
    ParentingAdvisorVikki Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    jane436 said:
    Hi vik. Am feeling quite low because of my son (ASD) and his lack of sleep. He's becoming very manipulative and controlling. I can't seem to prize him away from his xbox . He was taking melatonin liquid then gp changed to tablets which he says give him headaches. Due to start high school this sept and he's already indicating that he won't go. I'm at a loss what to do. I'm a single mom and don't have much support. Any advice would be appreciated x
    Hi Jane, Sorry for the delay in commenting back, I've had a few issues at y sons school this week. 
    Firstly I would say that you are doing your best and that is all you can do. There are ways you can get him off of the xbox. Is it in his bedroom or somewhere else?
    Melatonin shouldn't give him a headache. It is a natural hormone produced by the body which sends you to sleep. when you take melatonin in tablet or liquid form all it does is top up your natural hormones. I would suggest that lack of activity and excessive time on his xbox is giving him the headache, but im no doctor. 
    Remember that routine is very important for children with ASD. If he comes straight in from school and onto the xbox then maybe enforce some family time before bed. 
    if his xbox is in his room then you can remove it and give it to him as a reward for a good day at school (thats what we do with our son). Ours is in the lounge so I can monitor what he is doing on it as well. 
    Are you getting any additional support from local resources? if not please let me know what area you are in and I can point you in the direction of some things for you :)
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Apologies for the delay in seeing this post. I can really only agree with what @ParentingAdvisorVikki  has already said - melatonin can't be giving him headaches, it simply doesn't work that way. 

I'm another one who removes the games console when necessary - my son also has basic jobs that he has to do before he's allowed to switch it on at night (get changed and hang his clothes up, take any crockery to the kitchen, etc).

Most areas have dedicated support groups for ASD parents - if you let us know where you are, we might be able to find something for you.

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness