recently widowed and claiming universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

recently widowed and claiming universal credit

Options
froggy76
froggy76 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi , I'm recently widowed and put in a claim for universal credit and i have no idea how it all works! I have various disability and need a fit note i haven't worked for many years and can't see why they think i can now! Can you please explain to me how or what they are about and do i need to keep getting them as my doctor done one without seeing me and put on it bereavement and it's run out now so can she write one that says all my disabilitys so i don't have to do them anymore?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @froggy76, and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Universal Credit can seem really overwhelming at first, but we have plenty of information that you may find helpful and we'll assist where we can. Take a look at our UC information page and UC FAQs. It can often be a good idea to visit your GP and make sure you have medical evidence for your conditions and how they affect you, in case you need it.

I'm sure our other members will be able to advise you on how best to go about the process from here, so do ask any questions you have and we'll hopefully be able to help you out!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi froggy76

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

As Pippa says UC can seem really overwhelming and you should take some time to explore the Scope pages she has pointed you towards.

You should also consider whether you qualify for the Bereavement Support Allowance which is based on your late partner's national insurance record. There is a lot of information on the Citizens Advice website here which you might like to look at for a starting point. If you have any questions about this you can't find answers to then please do let us know.

You might also like to consider checking for other entitlements using the Scope benefits calculator here.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.