PIP Entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Entitlement

Options
adrian312
adrian312 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my name is Adrian,

I was involved in a crash a few years ago, suffered neck, back and scrotum injuries and also have had a knee operation due to cartilage.  I later had a esa assessment and was awarded it, then i got changed to JSA, during my assessment i was told to seek mental health help but when the report was returned to me later, it said i'd had no points and therefore had to seek JSA.  Now bearing in mind i'm on crutches, can hardly get out of bed on a daily occurance, have been given a a-z cocktail of medication which has totally messed me up.  I have a home PIP assessment on Wednesday and would like to know what this entails.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Adrian and welcome

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for a PIP award
    Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

For a home assessment you should not change your routine or medication.

A home assessment can take place in any room of your choosing, if at the assessment time you would normally be in bed or still in your night attire then so be it.
    The HCP will be watching everything you do from the moment you open the door, how you hand them your ID or any other paperwork. They will watch how you walk, stand and sit.

They will ask questions that seem irrelevant, about pets or social media.

They will ask you to perform some physical movements, which you are entitled to decline if they would cause your pain and suffering but you must explain why you are refusing  

They might ask how long can you walk for. The descriptor is to stand and then walk x metres. Very slow walking equates to less than 40 metres per minute. For the enhanced award, up to 20 metres you should therefore not walk for 30 seconds

To meet a descriptor you must be able to carry out the  activity Safely, Repeatedly, In a timely manner and to an acceptable standard

Some activities are deemed necessary at certain times of the day ie washing and dressing are morning activities. If you have to wait an hour or two for your medication to work before you can complete these, then that would not be in a timely manner if it was near midday before you managed.

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness