Hi, i need advice regarding housing benefit! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, i need advice regarding housing benefit!

philuk
philuk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
i have applied for HB at my local council, i recieve ESA support group, and standard daily living allowance, this is due to my mental health.

i have a joint tenancy with a friend, whichbshould be all i require, but thencouncil are asking forbmy landlord to provide a signed letter stating im liable for half the rent.

this has caused me great stress, but i eventually had the courage to ask my landlord for a letter, she said she will write a letter declairing the tenancy is Joint and so the rent is shared between 2 tenants.

i feel like the council are just trying to fob me off, i have written them a letter explaining my mental health, but was unheeded.

can a yone advise me on this please ?

Comments

• philuk
    “Standard living allowance PIP”
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @philuk and welcome to the community.

Usually in a joint tenancy each tenant is jointly and individually liable for the full rent. This would mean if your friend left you would be liable for the full rent. Normally you would both have signed the same tenancy agreement.

Increasingly landlords are using homes with multiple occupations (HMO), two or more bedrooms are let to individuals - sometimes couples - with shared facilities. In which case you would sign seperate tenancy agreements. In this case if one leaves the other/s are not responsible for making up the shortfall in rent. The landlord would simply look for another tenant.

One reason for this has been the change in rules to housing benefit so for most people under 35 they would only be entitled to the 1 bedroom local housing allowance, but it can also mean a better return for the landlord. However HMOs also have additional regulations attached to them for the landlord.

It is important for the council to establish the type of tenancy you have, since if it is a joint tenancy, as described above, your friend's income could be taken into consideration and it would be considered a joint application. Unfortunately your health would not be a consideration.

@Debbie_Scope - could you please confirm my understanding on this is correct.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• philuk
    I understand, is there anyway to prove i am liable for 50% as this is what my house mate and i have agreed too, maybe a signed letter from us both?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @philuk a lot of my knowledge is general rather in depth. Debbie_Scope is one of the advisors on the scope helpline and years of experience in housing, which is why I asked for her comments.

I have had a quick look round and it seems I may have been wrong. see https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/joint-tenants

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness