What to do if stranded? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What to do if stranded?

hjj777
hjj777 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,

Im a 26 year old physically disabled female. Recently my mobility scooter broke and I was stranded whilst in a graveyard. Luckily my parents were there and we managed to get back to the car with physical intervention from my dad.

It got me thinking, what would have happened if I was alone in that situation? I can't walk, so would quite literally be stuck and stranded until someone could come and rescue me with a spare wheelchair.

Would I be allowed to ring emergency services if my family/friends couldn't come and rescue me for say 24 hours? If not, what should I do in that situation if there was nobody around for assistance? Sit in a graveyard or park etc with no food or water for days on end?

I thought about ringing a Taxi, but they wouldn't have a spare wheelchair to put me in, to be able to push me to their Taxi.

It makes me frightened to go out alone to know that at any minute my wheelchair could break and I could get stranded, with no way of getting home. I realise wheelchair failures are unlikely, but it has happened to me twice in the last 2 months. Yes I will get a new wheelchair, but I really need to have a backup plan incase there is nobody around for assistance.

What would you do? Would I be allowed to ring say the fire brigade if it is getting late at night and dangerous to be out alone whilst stranded in a broken wheelchair?

H

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I suggest that you don't go out alone unless you know that a family member or friend would be able to come to you within a few hours, i.e. would be on call.
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    You go  out as normal, enjoy your life 100%, please dont let the possible fear hold you indoors..and in the event of a possible problem...ring 999 ,
    dont hesitate...just call and ask for FIRE RESCUE., they wont refuse and will be very delighted to help you.....
    Just make sure  your mobile phone is charged and you're able to tell them your location.
    Please continue to have fun and smile.....:):):)

• regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I can understand that this must be a concern, like any machine a scooter can breakdown.
    I think that in some areas there are emergency breakdown services similar to the AA.
    As a vunerable person I would suggest either ring the police 101 or 111 NHS service

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, of course, Fire Rescue would be the service to call.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    You can take out mobility scooter insurance about £60 plus a year they cover you for break down and get you home but not repair costs and other benefits third party cover, if you using mobility services the supplier may cover you in your rental plan . Good luck I have had three puntures able to fix and repair my self.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hjj777, welcome to the community! This is a really interesting question, and I'm sure there will be other members of the community who've experienced it or wondered what they would do too. I hope you find the above responses helpful!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks, but I don't understand some people they have access to the Internet get on this site yet ask questions that can be answered by using goggle search, ie, a question came up what is PIP. Put in search bar the question and you get no end of details about PIP I'll say no more cant understand some people can't or won't help their selves.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wilko, the Online Community is a place where our members can come for help, support, or just to vent, and we'll always do our best to help them. One of the great things about the forum is that as well as gaining information, people can hear about others' experiences. Therefore, we encourage people to continue asking questions so that we, and other members of the community, can be as helpful and supportive as possible. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @hjj777

You are far from being the only person that feels anxious at the prospect of being stranded by a mobility scooter break down.

Getting appropriate breakdown cover might help you to feel move confident about being out and about again.

Here is an article that discusses some of the issues with breakdown cover that you might want to consider:

http://www.disabledtraveladvice.co.uk/what-do-if-you-breakdown-your-mobility-scooter.html

Maybe it would be helpful if other community members could post personal recommendations about breakdown cover companies that they have used and been pleased with?

Best Wishes

Jean

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness