Supported Living — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supported Living

deex
deex Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I have been thinking a lot lately about how I might prefere to live in somewhere like a Residential Home rather than on my own, only I don't know if at my age 50 there is such a place, im sure they are more aimed at the Elderly but if anyone knows anything about this sort of thing for my age range I would be very grateful for your advice on the matter, I find living alone very lonely, to live with others would be a lot better I think I would much prefere that, seeing different people everyday. ;-) xx

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • Han_Solo
    Han_Solo Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
    Hi -

There are places that take people as young as 50 but not numerous. The more older you get, the more places become available; 55, then 60, then 65 and the top minimum age for places is 67.

If you live in London, then of course there is more choice. In some places you may need to have a local connection to the area/borough. But not every place is like that. And some places are amazing with plenty of activities; on-site and off-site.

Try to look for a place that has communal facilities like a lounge, library, hobby room, garden. Other places that just have a garden may not work for you as in the winter months you would be stuck inside and there is nowhere else to congregate.

Some places accepting you is also dependent on your mobility. If that is not a problem, then fine. But if it is, then you may need to keep looking.

I hope this helps.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There are places with can provide "Respite Care" for any age though the places are highly sought and, I suspect, the waiting list, if there is one, will be very long. I haven't used this service personally but know some that have and the ages range from 32 to 45.

I don't know if this is helpful.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Very helpful many thanks
  • deex
  • deex
    I havn't looked at that before no, but I will now thank you very much, I shall look up NHS  supported living services, thats very helpful, im sorry its taken so long to of seen this reply, I havn't been on the site for a while over the Holidays especially, hope everyone is keeping ok, xx

Brightness