Depression - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thespiceman
    Just saying hello :smile:  Hope to catch up with you later, and badly want to make time to look at your recipes.
    Very best to you, always,
    Richard
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @RichardVR   How are you I understand you are busy and have your mind on other things.

Hope you OK Take care.  Thank you for your time.  Yes have a look feel free to adapt anything you see or like.  That is the whole point.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennysDad
    Hi @thespiceman and thank you, I'm fine. It is my good fortune to be essentially able-bodied and mobile, so I have nothing to complain of. The depression hits me from time to time, and I spend quite a lot of time being angry at what 'Society' is doing to the most vulnerable.
    My greatest fortune is in being able to get to St James's Park in London 2 or 3 times a week, where I hand-feed birds and squirrels and seem to get photographed by no end of tourists, AND being able to be here with friends like yourself, people who matter to me.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @RichardVR Thank you for reply.  Yes I am OK just have bad days hence a lot of my posts .  What is bothering me.

My concern was my friend and yours toby.  I see from posts contacted you.  I have been sending him messages of support and hope you and he can discuss what and how you can help him.  Like you very kindly help me.

I am sorry what happened these things do happen and you get distracted by talking to other people.

I had this myself and am always grateful for every one who just reply and care.

I am passionate about people in our community.  This all stems from my childhood.  Seeing disabled, mental ill treated badly.

Those days if you were part of the society with disability of any sorts.  Treated as simple, stupid.  My Mother who was into local politics never thought she ever understood people.  Never voted for her but the other guy I used to say.

Attitudes of a village being from school and college plus employment.  You become a fighter.  You stand up for your people.  The never ending demeanour, patronising, looks of disapproval from the blue rinse brigade from interfering so called people in my village.

One moment smiles for a camera or press delegation next moment behind the scenes back stabbing the very people.  They were smiling for.  Usually the elderly, disabled, mentally ill.  That is local politics.

Coming home to see the local MP in our front lounge sipping tea and niceties.  Him the opposition to my Mother.  Best friends cooking up a plot to oust some big wig who has set off on his own agenda.

Not nice.  Certainly eye opener.  Work together all the time.  Found that out.  Cross Party Support.  Never get anything done other wise he murmured to me one Sunday Afternoon Tea function.  I ask casually one Summer when I was in my teens.  I recall.

Since then been well aware of the fight and endless struggle of our community.

Have to look at The Disability News worth a look.  Political stories all the time around the community of ours.  Latest one Disabled Commissioner not appointed.  It does not surprise me what goes on.

Interesting enough been to seen  PMQ's.  All like theatre and drama.  All politeness with a sneer and a veil of complicity.

Great you get to London reminds me I had a friend that cared for me in Hospital  I had to go to Hospital in London   When I was a young lad Mother decided to go home, leaving me alone.  Another thing she did.  Any way left alone and a friend of the family.  Sort of like adopted me.

Went to Richmond Park loved that.  Huge place lots of visits I would never had been to. Natural History Museum, V and A, Tower of London.  Plenty more Art Galleries.  Got a real education.

Sad really relationship with my Mother went down hill from there as She rarely ever rang me at the Hospital.  One time I rang cut me off.

Came one day took me home and never ever mentioned this family were coming to see me that afternoon.  I remember the upset, emotions then.  Still came down trounced in and by lunch time left.  I did not want to go back to home.  The  rest is history.

The most upsetting thing that really deep down hurts.  That happened was this family were writing to me.  Mother destroying any letters sent.

Phone calls well never rang.  In the end one day in my teens this when I found out the letters and the rest.  I suddenly one meeting with my Grandma who was my mothers mother.  Hated each other.  

Told me when I mentioned it.  They were arranging to leave the country I believe either Canada or USA I found out on the way to the airport they were killed.

No one bothered to tell me.  That one event made me realise how much I really hated my Mother and then the abuse, mental physical started till I was in my early twenties.

I thank god got away but being with that family in London probably one of the happy times.

Just some more bedtime reading.  I used to say to my lovely support worker.  Reading your E mails are like novels.  As I reeled off massive reams of stuff and chat.  She said to me.  Only you said to me.  Make me cry and then laugh dabbing my eyes with tears of laughter.

Thank you for support and your time.  Take care.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • JennysDad
    edited February 2018
    Hi Toby, @tobyrosco21
    Missing you, my friend. Been looking out for you most of the day. Are you okay? 
    YOU MATTER TOBY, to me and to others!
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JennysDad
    Hi @Victoriad
    and thank you for your response. It's not really the gardener's fault, I think The powers-that-be have grown up in that suburban environment that takes pleasure in flowers placed in line of battle and manicured lawns.
    I do have a bird table and I have feeders hanging from a neighbouring tree. The main beneficiaries are whoever is working in the kitchen, which overlooks them.
    You're lucky to see a woodpecker up close. They're lovely birds. I got a lovely view of our newly-resident Harris's Hawk in the park on Wednesday, and had blue, coal and great tits - as well as squirrels and our local parakeet invaders - feeding from my hands. Always a great boost.
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    tobyrosco21 Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    Hi everyone I am fine, just not sleeping very well.  
  • JennysDad
    Hi Toby! Very, very glad to see you again.
    Still here, still listening :smile:
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    Just got a load of parcels today.  Some craft stuff and bits for the holiday. 
  • JennysDad
    Hi!
    I love it when parcels come in. Are the materials to do with your card-making, or do you have other crafts as well?
    Best
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    Just card making, and some batteries for my camera.
  • JennysDad
    Hi Toby
    Only a few words, but I learn something interesting. You have a camera! So do I. Perhaps you could tell me what sort of pictures you take, or what sort of photos are of most interest to you?

• tobyrosco21
    Use it on holiday normally take photos of animals at wildlife parks.
  • JennysDad
     :)  I don't think I've ever been to a wildlife park as such, but I have hundreds of animal photos taken around the London parks, Regent's Park Zoo and elsewhere. I love animals and birds.
  • tobyrosco21
    Mainly from Animal Kingdom. 
  • JennysDad
    Animal Kingdom? You take your holidays in Florida?
  • tobyrosco21
    Sometimes, will be there in September. 
  • JennysDad
    I have never been. I did go to the US once, to stay with a friend in Massachusetts, and I think we went to a modest zoo that was quite local to them. Their own local wildlife was interesting enough, what with hummingbirds, cardinals and a turtle or two. Found the turtles in a lake our hosts drove past every day without ever realising there was a lake there. And my friend's partner was a very obliging police officer who enabled me to see a porcupine, ironically enough, from his own black-and-white. Didn't bring back any pictures though, and cannot now remember why.

Brightness