Pip award time limited — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip award time limited

jamie1965
jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
I was awarded pip last year and was told it would last for 4 years then would have to reapply. My condition is life long there is no cure and just been advised of further condition also life long no cure and both condition can only get worse why would they only award me pip for 4 years even my housing advisor was confused at this said it should go till I’m 64 I’m 52 now is any one else confused by this and is there any way to challenge this or will they stop
my money I’m on enhanced both elements 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi jamie1965.
    pip awards are not like DLA they only run for a certain amount of time.You can no longer have a lifetime award.It is confusing I know but this is standard procedure and nothing for you to worry about.
         Debsidoo.x
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, you have been given the longest award possible under the PIP awards. Don't worry because when your acessment is redone four years time you will be rearward another four years or what ever system is operating then. I hope this helps but you have peace of mind for four years, take care, xx
  • jamie1965
    I keep thinking do they think I’m gonna get better in 2021 wow that would be a date to look forward to instead I’m watching the days go by worrying who thought it would be a good idea to cause stress for people with illness 
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    jamie1965 said:
    I keep thinking do they think I’m gonna get better in 2021 wow that would be a date to look forward to instead I’m watching the days go by worrying who thought it would be a good idea to cause stress for people with illness 
    causeing stress is part of the new gov way to get rid of us 

• wilko
    I know what you mean, my grandson was born with a disability short arm and unoperatable deformed hand. He is on DLA but has to be reacessed at 12yrs old. His mum said do they think he's going to grow another arm?
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    when you get acessers lieing and capita ignoring and dwp being so far in the wrong we have one choice ?fight till we cant then die

• jamie1965
    Thank you seems like this is the first place I have been able to get some answers no one ever seems to be able to help or don’t want to I spent years without benefits cause no one told me I could claim anything it was only when I started missing work and struggled to pay my rent a housing officer advised me to call benefits up the lady there said o have missed out on at least 20 years of benefits cause when I started working I stopped claiming Dla thought that I was no longer able to claim and of course no one advised other wise 
  • wilko
    The more we bring to the attention of government the mistake the accessors are making the better our cases are going to be hopefully for correct awards ect.
  • jamie1965
    I had to represent my company’s disabled work force few years ago at the disability confident conference in London the first one they had the people there where fab then David Cameron and his people came in they only seemed to want to get free lunch them took there publicly photos and left I was them asked to speak in the House of Commons to mps about how they system and work places make you feel and what I would like to see happen all the mp’s were invited yet 4 showed up mp Mike Pennington who arranged it was not happy at all at the turn out 
  • jamie1965
    It shows even given the opportunity they don’t want to listen at all as long are they get there big wage and long holidays to hell with the people who suffer 
  • jamie1965
    How can they justify a child with issues as your grandson has having to be assessed in the first place I think this world is going mad 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,344 Disability Gamechanger
    The longest PIP award possible is 10 years, with review at 9 years. Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end. If you award is for 4 years then the review for you will be 1 year before that ends.

With reviews the forms are shorter but evidence will still be needed to prove those descriptors apply to you. Another assessment will most likely be needed as it's rare to have a paper based decision.

If the decision goes in your favour, you'll have a new award date. If a decision doesn't go in your favour then your payments will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made, regardless of when your award was until.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lainie1966
    lainie1966 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Correct. You can get pip.for 10 years. 
  • jamie1965
    I’m still confused as to how they say a life long condition that can only get worse needs to be reviewed after 4 years or 3 if they gonna call me in before then 
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering

poppy123456 I lost my PIP award in January . My assessor stated  review again  in 8 years . I am 64 now so in 8 years I will be unable to apply for PIP in any case .   Also my award stopped the exact date that was the decision letter was written , No further payment was received .  Have requested an MR . still awaiting reply. Previously on DLA and  then transferred successfully to Pip awarded for 4 years should have run until June 2018.

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end. If the decision goes in your favour, you'll have a new award date. If a decision doesn't go in your favour then your payments will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made, regardless of when your award was until.
    This is so wrong. How is this even legal! So in effect you could lose about eight months of money that was originally given to you, because they start the process a year before. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Just to clarify on this regarding PIP awards lengths - the longest in which you can recieve PIP is what is called as On-Going? Which will review after 10 years not a year before and then it's a light touch review.

Most will only recieve in PIP is awards of up to 10 years most will be under which is then reviewed a year before (Apart from On-Going awards) which is after 10 years as a rule not before.

I know that the DWP say a light touch review after a 10 year period I may be over thinking but what does a (light touch) really means.

I know it may be to early to ask this but I’ve found this article regarding (light touch) I may be over thinking this is what it really is? 

Expedited or light touch review

The ESRC Framework for Research Ethics (FRE) has guidance on provision for expedited or light touch review.

Expedited review refers to the need for a proposal that involves possible risk of harm to have full ethics review, but for the review to be conducted quickly, and at short notice.

Light touch review can apply when the risk of substantive harm – to participants or to anyone else who could be affected by the research – is judged to be minimal. As with expedited review, the intent is that the review process should be quicker than if full review is necessary – the distinction is that with light touch review, a lower level of scrutiny may be necessary.

Some research ethics committees already make provision for expedited or light touch review – and the guidance in the ESRC FRE implies that these options may become more common in institutional research ethics committees that were set up to meet Research Council requirements for ethics review.

If you think your research might need expedited review, or might be eligible for light touch review, check whether the ethics committee that you are applying to offers these options. If they do not, you will have to submit an application for full review. If you can apply for expedited or light touch review, read the guidance in this section of the website.

For more information, see:
    Expedited review
    Light touch review full info regarding the above

What that effectively means it's the nearest to indefinite you can recieve and Iam on an On-Going and recieve this and I'm pretty much dead and just about still breathing.

It amazes me how they can come to some of these decisions and how low some of the awards on certain conditions.

If you all feel the decisions are wrong you must fight it, you do have rights.

Remember they don't care but we do.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Has PIP been around ten years yet? They might not know themselves what it is.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.