GARDENING HOW IT IS HELPING MY MENTAL HEALTH — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GARDENING HOW IT IS HELPING MY MENTAL HEALTH

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
I got in to gardening because of my interest in food and cooking.  I first realised that this could be a solution to ease the misery of mental illness..

Volunteering for gardening in many disabled or community centres.  Started my journey into looking at the connection between plants and health.

A lot of these places have small gardens that are tendered to by the community.  Put the idea forward for growing Herbs for health.

So since then if and when did volunteering created a Herb garden.  The down side if there was the attitude of some community members who did not know being outside beneficial.  Once into the fresh air and getting some exercise.  Not really for me tiring.  Just the odd twinge of muscle pain, sweat a little.  Did feel really good.

Got used a lot.  Learnt a lot.  Lost a few friends, made some new ones.  Not every one is a gardener.  I am not really.  I call my self a Herbilist.

Herbs to plant.  Most garden centres sell a variety of Herbs already fully grown.  In pots individually priced or sell three for a price.  For example.  All you need are tubs of certain sizes that can hold two or three Herbs.  Bags of compost, trowel, gardening gloves.

You can of course plant in to the ground.  All Herbs are ideal for that spare bit of plot at the front of your property.  I planted at the front of my property Rosemary, Lavender, Sage in stony soil.  Took to it great.  Instructions on how to plant on the pots you buy.  Do not need to be planted deep.

Favourite Herbs Rosemary, Thyme, Sage.  These are good starters for a beginner.  Rosemary is scented as it produces Blue flowers and is good for calming, anxiety.  Thyme and Sage many different ones.  Thyme has pretty little flowers in Summer.  Spreads out.

Other ones to look out for Lavender have this out side my Bedroom window. Blue Purple  flowers lovely scent.  Culinary Herbs Parsley, Basil, Coriander I leave in Pots in the Kitchen or around the Front Door to get Sun, Rain when it is cold bring them in.

You get  a tray of Culinary Herbs these are good.  I see Herbs like Lovage, Borage I have planted has a yellow scent which touched.  Ideal for digestion.  Mint is the only one has to be planted in a tub in the ground.  Can go mad if planted with other herbs.  Take over garden.

I have tried Oregano very strong scent and smell very powerful. Bay comes as a bush or a tree.

Any body got favourites or others.  Not all Herbs are used for Cooking.  You will be surprised what are called Herbs.  Most garden plants are called Herbs.

By the way can get addictive buying Herbs.  I did buy Herbs those ones the Supermarkets sell.  Unfortunately not very good in some cases.

With cold weather still here I thought bring some Spring ideas for the community.  Plus sunshine.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Great! I love gardening and I am lucky enough to have an allotment, I wrote about how gardening can improve mental health last year :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Sam_Scope Thank you for reply.  I did not know you wrote about Gardening can Improve Mental Health, good.  I will have a look.  

I wrote this just keep hoping weather improves quick blasts of sun.  Wishing for Spring to come.  Trying to be upbeat get depressed when it not nice.  Cold and wet this week plus some snow showers.

Already making some sorts of plans this year.

What are your plans for garden.  I know keep thinking try to get a bird table.  Few feeders and make it a wildlife garden.

Hope to speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tobyrosco21
    tobyrosco21 Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    I grow vegetables for my guinea pigs.  Can' wait to get started on this years crop.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @tobyrosco21 That's great, do not grow them for your own consumption then.

I would like to grow vegetables probably do this in tubs, might try roots potatoes, carrots, onions.  Lot easier than an allotment.  What do you think, or in the community?
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tobyrosco21
    tobyrosco21 Community member Posts: 52 Listener
    We eat them as well, but the guinea pigs eat more.  Root vegtables are very tricky to grow, I stick to lettuce, beans, Swiss chard, and cucumbers.
  • timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    I loved sowing seeds then seeing them spring to life particularly when very ill.

• thespiceman
    Hello @timoglock Pleased to meet you, yes that is the real benefit watching your plants grow, makes the season of Spring worth while.

Sorry to hear you are ill.  I understand being ill what ever the illness at least you can take some time to have some fresh air, sunshine.  Take the enormous enjoyment of the outdoors.  It helps to ease the symptoms.

I like herbs, the main reason that they smell great, touch rosemary has a strong scent.  In Roman Times Rosemary was used to scent villas and houses, calming effect for anxiety.

I have lavender which is lovely strong scent great to see in the Summer.

What do like to plant might give me some ideas, I am thinking of making a sensory garden, therapeutic for my mental health.

What sort of garden do you have?  If you do not mind me asking.

I once bought a load of mixed flower seeds they are great, smell wonderful.  Get bees and pollinators.  Would not mind seeing if I attract wildlife, used to have a garden like that.

I hope you will be OK always here to listen, chat or talk if you wish to.

Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness