Knee Op — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Knee Op

janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
edited February 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Hi everyone , i recently had an xray on my knee as my knee cap slips causing me agonizing pain. The xray shows i have a bony overgrowth which is causing my knee cap to slip but my doctor said its fine as its only a slight overgrowth. I have osteoarthritis in all of my joints but this knee and my hip are the worst. Has anybody else had this problem and can they advise me on anything that will help. Pain is driving me nuts even though im on pain killers

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janejr, sorry to hear about your knee issues and the pain it's causing you, it must be really debilitating. We have a similar discussion going on at the moment- although the OP has Cerebral Palsy, many of the replies are about general knee ops. You can read the thread here. For tips on coping with pain, you may like to check out our chronic pain discussions too.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you see anyone from a pain clinic @janejr ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • janejr
    No my old doctor was going to refer me but I have move house since.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @janejr, I've moved this post into our new 'ask a chronic pain' advisor category to see whether Claire can offer any additional advice on coping with your pain.
  • BillyM
    BillyM Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi janejr I've sort of had a similar problem with my knees I fell off a bridge in America believe it or not and landed on my knees and smashed my kneecaps to bits and then bounced a couple of times on my head before I landed properly but the long and the short of it is i haven't had a kneecap in one knee for years and to be honest it doesn't really do much its only a bone that sits on the knee joint to protect the muscle things in your leg and I know its easier said than done but try walking the pain out honestly it works 
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @janejr,
    Sorry to hear you are struggling.  Bony overgrowth or spurs is usually a result of arthritis, causing pain which is probably stopping you from using the knee.  This in turn starts a vicious cycle as the surrounding muscles and tendons can become deconditioned, and then are unable to function properly and so the knee cap is able to slip.
    I would suggest that you pursue a referral to a pain clinic with your new GP - I do know that this isn't always easy - and ask for a review of your current pain meds.  It may be that your current OA meds are not the right ones for the acute knee pain.
    I also agree with Billy regarding exercise as this will help to stop the deconditioning that I mentioned.  I suggest gentle exercises to build up the strength in the muscles in order to support the tendons & ligaments that keep your knee cap in place.  I personally like the Youtube videos from "physicaltherapyvideo", by physios Bob and Brad: have a look at this one for arthritic knees https://youtu.be/T3qKHLP8fVo.  They also have another called "10 Best Knee Pain Exercises Ever Created".
    Take it easy though....a little pain is OK, but work up the repetitions very gently.  The old saying "no pain, no gain" is wrong! Rather "know pain, to gain" - you know your body, you will recognise the pain experienced by muscles that are not used to the exercise, and that this is different to excruciating OA pain made worse by overdoing it!  Slow and steady.  Ask your GP to refer you for physio for your knee.
    You might also find this useful from Arthritis UK https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/exercises-to-manage-pain/knee-pain-exercises.aspx.
    Application of gel products containing anti inflammatories (for instance Fenbid Forte containing ibuprofen) might help to ease pain along with a heat pad.  Electric heat pads are useful as you can control the temperature, but microwave wheat packs are easy to use and apply.
    I hope that there may be some tips here that will help you - please contact me again if I can be of any more help/support.
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • BillyM
    Youtube? No pain no gain jeez gimme a break  It's simple if you eat the wrong food and don't do anything apart from sit on your **** your gonna get fat I'm living proof of that talk about complicating things
  • BillyM
    In my humble opinion Jane I think you'll be ok 
  • janejr
    Of course I will be BillyM but just for the record I was extremely fit ran a care home and walked miles for the fun of it before I inherited 2 bone desease so i think mine was just the luck of the draw. Doesn't make the pain or the lack of mobility any easier to take though
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    I agree @janejr that having to adjust to a very different pace of life due to mobility problems and pain is so tough!  Whilst eating that sensible diet and getting enough exercise is important, the pain and mobility problem caused by disease becomes a vicious cycle.
     One of the hardest things I have found is getting my head around losing my independence - like you I was very fit (and had been able to maintain this with hard work after my first back op aged 21), nursed, ran a household and had a pretty active life. Also like you it has been luck of the draw that I have inherited a genetic condition and my brother hasn't!  My connective tissue problems mean that I also have regular slipping knee caps/dislocations (which I didn't want to launch straight into on my first reply) which are agony.
    I know I have directed you to a few resources above - a couple of other suggestions are using resistance bands, and sitting on a gym ball whilst bending and straightening the knee to strengthen muscles.  Often the last thing we want to do though!
    Try to pace yourself, again easier said than done and I am the world's worst at this. Yes Billy is right, you will be ok....but living with chronic pain is really tough, & meanwhile there are things that might help ease the pain, which might in turn help aid the mobility.
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • janejr
    Pace is the one , if I have a good day I tend to over do it and think I can move the world and I pay the price after wishing I hadn't been stupid. Thanks Claire

Brightness