5 year old with many autism symptoms but not enough points to be diagnosed as autistic - help! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

5 year old with many autism symptoms but not enough points to be diagnosed as autistic - help!

MelCruz
MelCruz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of a 5 year old child with many autism symptoms but not reached enough points to be diagnosed as autistic. My grandsom displays many signs of autism but we now struggle to know how to work with some of his difficulties at home with no support. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MelCruz and welcome to the community.

While he may not have scored enough for a diagnosis some of the strategies used to help autistic children may still work for your grandson. If you would care to share some of the problems you are having we may be able to assist with ideas which could help him.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MelCruz, and a belated welcome to the community! 

As @Geoark says, do feel free to discuss some of the issues you're having and our community members may be able to help you out. We also have an ASD advisor: I've moved this discussion into their category in case they can offer any additional guidance. Hope this helps!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The National Autistic Society may be a good place to get some information on this.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • am2012
    am2012 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Melcruz 

Did you get any further advice? My nephew has the same problem and we are not sure what can be done to help him, he is clearly struggling. 

Brightness