Benefits for person with MS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits for person with MS

daisy208
daisy208 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone I've just signed up to this group as I'm looking for help with benefits for my partner who has MS and I'm hoping to find some answers on here

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daisy208
    Welcome to the community, have you tried the benefits calculator?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @daisy208, you are amung friends on this site, it must have been a shock when your partner was diagnosed with MS. Try applying for PIP go on the scope PIP self test see how many points your partner could claim, be honest about it out other wise you give yourself false hopes. Depending on your income and savings can have an effect, good luck.
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    I too have MS but managed to stay in work until 10 months ago when my employer managed to get rid of me (incapacity), fortunately I was placed straight into the Support Group of contribution based ESA which is approx £125 per week, I also get mid rate care allowance of DLA (approx £55 per week) and high rate mobility which pays for my motability car, So in total I get approx £180 weekly which doesn't seem bad but I have a 3 bed home to maintain and keep warm (it's tough in this weather). I believe that it is better cash wise to be on 'income based' ESA but that depends on how much NI has been paid in the proceeding 2 years of paid employment. There may be more benefits available which I don't yet know about so good luck 
  • SethLaa
    I should have added that the £125 weekly includes a Disability Premium but I can't remember what it's called, sometimes forget what my name is lol
  • SethLaa
    I also managed to get my Council Tax reduced by 1 band (C to B) but only after I had my bath removed and replaced with a shower cubicle, still costing me £98 per month bah bloody humbug
  • SethLaa
    Should have said C to B, god knows where the smiley face came from with SUNGLASSES, that's simply taking the mickey

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.