PIP assessments - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessments

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    We are disabled people yet we take pride in our appearance. Should we arrive at appointments scruffy and smelly what would be the results of PIP acessments.
  • rachel1988
    rachel1988 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Quite disgusting if you ask me,after I had an assessment once I got a copy of the report and they said I didn't seem anxious enough,like they had in there mind an idea of how I was going to be,they use people who have no idea how to assess most conditions including mental health,use proper trained professionals and at least give people a fair chance,they lie on the reports and you have no way of proving other wise,how many complaints and such has it takes to get this far
  • Carrieanne
    Carrieanne Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Glad I joined this group. My son now 20 in April was on DLA from a very early age due to learning difficulties, he was statemented in school and had 1 to 1 lessons in the special part of the school. He's DLA stopped with he was 19 (they never transferred him over to PIP) he got a full diagnoses from genetics at the age of 14 (born with 7q11.23 duplication syndrome. Put application in for pip and was denied it, took it to MR failed that too so a year down the line I tried again making a new application and again listed all his problems with more added problems and failed again. He’s currently doing ok in college but the communication from him is very bad (he gets frustrated when people don’t understand him) he’s on the 2nd year. I’ve seen jobs advertised for my boy and made enquiries and explained to them of his difficulties and they turn him down. Every assessment for PIP he’s had I’ve been with him and he don’t talk to them but they have lied every time on paper questioning his ability. I’m now lost has to what to do!!

im in the same boat myself I’ve also been turned down first time applying for myself, I have angina, mental issues along with severe depression, anxiety, GERD, and now under a neurologist for vascular erosion to the front part of my brain which has caused memory loss so you can imagine what it’s like when I’m asked questions. 

Sorry for the ling post
  • wilko
    Sorry for your self and son, pip is not help for medical conditions, but help with your daily living as the descriptors clearly ask and state, for example washing bathing, can you wash above your shoulders, can you wash below your waist, can you cook a simple meal using microwave oven and the questions go on. And the mobility issues is the same how far can you walk. The monetary awards are to help with your daily living and mobility, getting about. So if you can clearly do all the the descriptors to a good standard and walk well then you won't get any award. I hope this helps you and others who wonder why they don't get awarded pip.
  • Carrieanne
    Carrieanne Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    For instance for myself it’s painful to walk any distance and if I do attempt going out say to go post a letter I’m breathless and have to stop. With my anxiety and depression I have to have someone with me all the time including toilet needs and bathing, I put all this on my form and was 100% truthful explaining the pain i experience daily. I can not make a plan of journey due to anxiety and memory loss. I don’t cook a simple meal because I can not stand for long periods of time

My son on the the other hand suffers low muscle tone, has done since his early years hence why he got DLA from the age of 4 to 18. He can not make a journey to College on his own, I drop him off at the bus stop and he’s met on the bus by a friend. Same coming from the other end. He tried it on his own and got on the wrong bus coming back and ended up going somewhere he wasn’t aware off. He has no sense of danger and it puts him and others in danger

im lost has of what I can do, we are both struggling! 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i am getting pip and have been told by lots of people that they have been refused. i was told to go to the CAB for advise and they were brilliant they helped me fill in the form and i got pip first time i applied. i suffer from really bad osteo arthritis, spina bifida, hydrochephalus and scoliosis. i was convinced i would be refused so i would highly recommend going to the CAB .
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    CAB were utterly useless in my case. I ended up doing my reconsideration myself because they filled my form in so badly.
  • wilko
    Try using the scope help pages or go to work and benefits site and join cost £20!to get acess to members only guides on all matters concerning PIP and ESA claims to appeals.
  • suezy
    suezy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    i am waiting for help with forms to be filled in, I had my dvla both on high rate for infinite, I have read some of the peoples stories of there claims , I have not a clue what point are ? so do they assess your condtions on point and what do they mean? thank you

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    have a look at the b&w self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

cr
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suezy, and welcome to the community! The link provided above by CR is great, and Citizens Advice also has a breakdown of the points which may come in useful. If there's anything else we can assist you with, please do let us know!
  • penny1234
    penny1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have had major illness I had a sever brain hemorrhage heart faluire phnemonia and ruptured anyurusum had surgery three fractures as well and resportary issue can bearly walk and got basic rate. So unfair been through hell going to councilling soon been through hell have memory issues in pain everday they just don't care.
  • penny1234
    penny1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am appealing by the way getting support with that under several. Surgeons in Birmingham and Hereford 
  • Tracy1965
    Tracy1965 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi jan67

this is one off the things I’m worried about my condition has got worse since I first received pip 18 months ago my depression and anxiety especially the anxiety since losing my car I can’t seem to go out the house on my own so only go out once a week with my son at weekend just to local shop and he gets any other shopping on his way home from school because my back has worsened I’ve had to have a bath lift put in as I can no longer get out the bath and was embarrassing having to ask my 16 yr old son to help me I’m so scared what will happen next week at my assessment reading people’s post they are stopping a lot and I just don’t know what I will do 
    Already my doctor told me via phone cause I can’t even get out to go see her that we don’t have any home support anymore so if I felt like not living again there be no one there for me this terrifies me
  • lornatwin
    lornatwin Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi can anyone tell me am I entitled to ask the assessor to see the report or assessment they have done on me before I leave the room as I’m so afraid by what I’m reading that they will lie about things many thanks xx
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi  lornatwin and welcome

You can ask but the report is usually completed later
    You should ask for a copy of the report from the DWP after 2-3 days

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    maid08 said:
    jamie1965 said:
    It is quite strange why do the assessment always seem to differ from one area to the next do they not all have the same guidelines to follow do they not have to sing of the same Hume sheet so to speak 
    they have a standard to follow but depends who does it in diff areas  be it maximus or capita  im sure atos cant do them only to finish excisting contract as it was removed im sure

ATOS is doing all PIP assessments in the East of England, if not the whole of England. They've just rebranded themselves as Independent Assessment Services. They backed out of their ESA contract, but not PIP.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Please take it to Tribunal. 70% win. 
  • lornatwin
    lornatwin Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thanks for all the advice waylay very much appreciated xxx

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.