weighted blankets — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

weighted blankets

Janine
Janine Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi,
I work with a little girl who would benefit from a weighted blanket at nights. Has anyone used a good one which they can recommend please?

Thanks

Comments

• Grymma
    Grymma Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I know these aren't cheap, but if I'd had one when my girl was little, we all would have had a happier life! She got one last year, at 16 yrs old. It's worked so well for her that she has stopped taking melatonin most nights now.

http://www.weight2goblankets.co.uk/
  • lynnelavertyukcom
    lynnelavertyukcom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    We have this one which we have had since my son was 6 and it's great. Our OT recommended it. http://www.rompa.com/weighted-blanket-standard-weight-2-25kg-5-lbs-size-147-x-76cm.html The standard one was the right weight for him and worked really well, unfortunately not well enough we could get rid of melatonin haha

Lynne
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi. Something I've also been looking into. Some schools, respite centres let you borrow a blanket to try as so expensive it's worth testing out. A website I've been recommended is in the USA but even with shipping it is far less expensive:- http://www.saltoftheearthweightedgear.com/index.html
    Love the way everyone's tried the Melatonin route! lol
    Sleep tight!
    H
  • Janine
    Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Janine
  • JimJams
    JimJams Community member Posts: 174 Connected
    going to have a look at the weighted blankets just now, this is my last resort before asking for sleep hormone.
  • Kerry
    Kerry Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My son has a weighted blanket which is fab (tho was expensive), if you know anyone that can sew they are full of poly pellets which you can buy on ebay I found out! Good luck x
  • ericamarks
    ericamarks Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, I had never heard of weighted blankets before, but my son, who's now 19, has always slept tightly swaddled in a double duvet, tucked in both sides of a single bed. This seemed to do the trick. He has CP though, not ASD.
  • JimJams
    I got a weighted blanket from ebay there is a guy on there who makes them himself and it is great and his prices start from 59.99 for a 7lb blanket add an extra £3 per pound you need added to the weight.
  • louise1
    louise1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi its my husband who sells them on ebay. i would like to say the prices start at 49.99 not 59.99 :0) plus 14.99 P+P. This is for a plain one which you can then put inside any single quilt cover of your choice. this is also ebay price. He is also on facebook if you search Autism, Asd & Sen - pecs and other aids as there are no ebay charges to pay prices here start at 44.99 :0) He can make these in any weight biggest one he has done so far was 26lb for a gentleman. lap pads can also be made to order . thanks louise xx
  • Heather
    I have to say, I looked up the Ebay Autism, ASD & Sen - pecs and found Tony a delight to liase with to guage the correct weight etc. for my son's blanket. Highly recommended. Thank you Marie for that great tip!
  • MaidoftheMoors
    MaidoftheMoors Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have mostly used Rompa which are good quality, but Sensory Direct do ones made from individual pockets so can be adapted to the right weight for the individual person. They are a fair price, and they have a range of weighted products and lots of information about weighted blankets and their use.
  • Janine
    Hi Louise,
    Interested in buying a weighted blanket. Tried to find your husband on ebay but couldnt. Could I e-mail him perhaps please
    Thanks
    Janine
  • Heather
    Hi Janine. Louise/Tony email is:- MUMMYOSBORNE@HOTMAIL.CO.UK
  • JimJams
    thanks for the great blanked louise , can recommend these products, my son is sleeping great.
  • HANDLE
    HANDLE Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Weighted blankets are good for providing sensory feedback to someone who is unsure of where there body is in space. This sense is called proprioception. Other signs of this include; rocking back and forth, perimeter hugging, constant clinginess. It's often combined with hyper sensitivite tactility (touch) There are many exercises that help these (and other) senses work more effectively.
    These exercises are available in the book The Fabric of Autism by Judith Bluestone. We provide training to parents and professionals and have a clinic in Brighton. Our next training is 3-5 August
    More info on our website www.handle.org
    or www.seanwilliams.co.uk
  • GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hi,
    I recently had a discussion with our OT about the weighted blankets (although we both word with adults).

She told me that in order for someone to use it, a very strict protocol and guidelines need to be in place! This means that parents/carers/teachers alongside an OT monitor very closely the use of the weighted blanket and decide if it's appropriate or not. I understand that people may have different experiences and their use is very popular in schools, but involve a professional to guide you - it's always safer to have someone else working with you!
  • APMagazine
    APMagazine Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Janine said:
    Hi,
    I work with a little girl who would benefit from a weighted blanket at nights. Has anyone used a good one which they can recommend please?

Thanks

Weighted blankets come in various sizes and weights and provide deep-touch therapy or deep-pressure stimulation. Clinical studies suggest this sensation, similar to being held or hugged, releases serotonin which helps to regulate sleep and mood.

As weighted blankets increase in popularity, more retailers are cropping up. While it is important to be sure your child’s weighted blanket is well constructed and uses appropriate fillers, consumers have an increasing number of retailers to choose from when purchasing.

As mentioned above, Mosaic Weighted Blankets is a popular option. They have a large variety of blankets and wraps to choose from allowing consumers to customize their blanket’s material, size, and weight more than many other retailers. They also offer a DIY kit for families feeling adventurous. Their children’s blankets tend to hover around the $100 price point.

The Magic Blanket, another popular retailer, has a large variety of fabric options and allows the customer to email them with custom orders. Their website houses an extensive review section and answers frequently asked questions. They offer military and law enforcement discounts and their blankets tend to range from $70 to $120 depending on the fabric.

You can find more information here: Weighted Blankets for Autism: Reducing Anxiety and Providing a Good Night’s Sleep - Autism Parenting Magazine

• APMagazine
    APMagazine Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Janine said:
    Hi,

Thanks

Weighted blankets come in various sizes and weights and provide deep-touch therapy or deep-pressure stimulation. Clinical studies suggest this sensation, similar to being held or hugged, releases serotonin which helps to regulate sleep and mood.

As weighted blankets increase in popularity, more retailers are cropping up. While it is important to be sure your child’s weighted blanket is well constructed and uses appropriate fillers, consumers have an increasing number of retailers to choose from when purchasing.

As mentioned above, Mosaic Weighted Blankets is a popular option. They have a large variety of blankets and wraps to choose from allowing consumers to customize their blanket’s material, size, and weight more than many other retailers. They also offer a DIY kit for families feeling adventurous. Their children’s blankets tend to hover around the $100 price point.

The Magic Blanket, another popular retailer, has a large variety of fabric options and allows the customer to email them with custom orders. Their website houses an extensive review section and answers frequently asked questions. They offer military and law enforcement discounts and their blankets tend to range from $70 to $120 depending on the fabric.

You can find more information here: Weighted Blankets for Autism: Reducing Anxiety and Providing a Good Night’s Sleep - Autism Parenting Magazine

• Felicity84
    Felicity84 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    This is an old thread but Louise is your husband still creating these and as time has moved on has anyone got any other help?

Brightness