Acute tinnitus and struggling for money — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Acute tinnitus and struggling for money

Options
phantom
phantom Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Ive been diagnosed with acute tinnitus 5 years ago and still the case today, causing, insomnia depression , none of the prescribed medication cure any of the above , further more a year ago I was diagnosed with COPD and asma , my gp been regarding as unfit to work all this time and still I was put on Esa then work related schem and now been on UC for two years , I'm not receiving near enough to live on , is there any advise I can get , I have been through 2 capability assessment and passed them 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @phantom, and welcome to the community. Though I'm not an authority on benefits (there are plenty of those here, and they will be in touch with you) I think it might be helpful to you to try the online benefits calculator here: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check?_ga=2.59702440.405444417.1517054923-1832321402.1513208436
    Have a look and see what you think. In the meantime, bear with us. As I said, others will be along to advise you
    In case it helps, you have found a safe place here and are among friends, so please don't be shy of telling us about yourself or of asking any questions. The better we get to know each other, the easier we may find ways to be of use to you.

Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @phantom

And welcome to the community.

I am profoundly deaf, but also suffer with tinnitus and depression. 
    Have you contacted your local deaf society?
    They have been amazing with me.

if you need any other help, just let me know
    all the best 
    Bev
  • penny1234
    penny1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Im new I'm also suffering everyday with it under ent in may its a nightmare to try and sleep
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @penny1234

welcome to the community!

I am the same, being deaf with tinnitus is a night mere.
    I've slept downstairs for over 2 years now. I cant sleep in a dark room as it only intensifies my tinnitus. I do take prescription sleeping tablets, but would rather not  as I'm really tired during the day. 

I have a friend on scope, who has mentioned in the past a device called "white noise" I don't know if you have heard of it?
    unfortunately the device wont work for me has I'm deaf, but maybe its something you could look into?

The deaf society have an amazing support group.
    They will also help you look into what benefits you could receive.

I had a lovely lady who helped me helped me with equipment for my home. she also helped me fill out forms and attended my P.I.P tribunal.

they will normally ask you to make an appointment, so they can better discuss what your needs are.

hope that helped
    Bev 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.