struggling to cope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

struggling to cope

Smilinglisa
Smilinglisa Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in Transport and travel
Hi all I have been on DLA from a young age and was supposed to be on it for life but I recently got assessed in the new pip and got my benefit taken away. I am taking them to a tribunal in the meantime I purchased another car which I have had nothing but issues with I also had to pay for it to be adapted over £800. The car I have constantly breaks down and I’ve lost faith in it. I now get scared to go out and cannot afford to purchase another one as all my money gone on this car. If things carry on as they are I won’t be able to go out as my car is my lifeline I can’t get anywhere without it 
I’m so upset and don’t know what to do

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Lisa (?) @Smilinglisa and welcome to the community. Glad to have you, but very sorry you're having such a tough time. However, you're not alone, and you'll find plenty of new friends here who have had similar experiences and will be sympathetic.
    Benefits is not my area of expertise (Do I have, I wonder, an area of expertise?) but there are plenty of people here who know how the benefits system works (or doesn't) and there are plenty of resources.
    I suspect that your post will soon be moved to a forum like the PIP/DLA forum where it will attract the direct attention of the people you want involved. If you'd like to have a look at that forum in the meanwhile, the link to it is here: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla
    Otherwise, people 'in the know' will be along to talk to you soon, and I hope we will be able to help you sort things out.
    Stay in touch, for now, and take care,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Smilinglisa, and welcome to the community!

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation and what you're going through, the appeals process can be a really difficult time but I hope you know that we'll do our best to support you. You may like to check out our guidance on DWP appeals.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must feel at the car situation. I wonder if you'd tried our grants search to see if there are any organisations that could provide relief aid to take care of either the car or your transport needs? Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on.
  • Smilinglisa
    Thank you both for your replies,yes I did get told that the tribunal date could be up to 2 years as there are so many going through. Pipa do you know where I could possible get a grant can’t see anything on this link you suggested! X
  • Smilinglisa
    Keep being told different but this was one of the timelines I was given. Crazy. It’s an emotional rollercoaster 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    My Tribunal wait was 5.5 months but waits can be longer now.  However, I've not heard of anyone having to wait two years!  The wait of several months is worth it as 65% of PIP appeals succeed.  Use the time to prepare for your Hearing.

PIP is about how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.  Tribunal Hearings are inquisitorial so prepare yourself for a lot of probing questions.  However, I got through my Hearing and Tribunal awarded me enhanced both components.

I advise people to buy their own car if they can, not get a Motability one, in case their benefit is taken away.  Some dealers will give five years' interest free credit on new cars.

Brightness