Raising Awareness - You Are Not Alone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Raising Awareness - You Are Not Alone

Ami2301
Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
Hi everyone :)

Do you have a disability/condition/etc that you think should be made to be more aware of?

Before I signed up to the online community I felt so alone with all the symptoms I was having, luckily a few days later I found someone who had been experiencing the exact same symptoms. (I hopefully will have a diagnosis by the end of next week after having tests). I cried with relief when I realised that I was not alone. 

Cancer, Mental Health, etc are made to be aware of most frequently. In a way, the disabilities we don't know much about or never heard of are like seeds that are planted, but because they haven't blossomed nobody knows anything about them. However, with the support of rain and sunshine, the flowers will bloom and everyone can learn about them. 

Our online community is the most supportive place I have ever come across. It's changed my life for the better as I'm sure it has had a positive impact on you all too!

Thank you Scope for creating the online community <3

Thank you all for reading :)

Ami :)
Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi      I realize that I'm a member of a rapidly diminishing group but I would be interested to read any news about uk survivors of polio.  I was a victim of the 1950 outbreak and seemed to be fully over it until about 15-20 years ago when things started to fall apart.  Is there anybody else out there?

i

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @exdvr

Thanks for getting in touch :) As I am only 23 I had never heard of the 1950 Polio Outbreak but I was interested to find out about it!

It was upsetting to read about the devasting effects it had on children and shocking that there is barely any awareness about the effects it has had on the survivors, like yourself.

Have you came across a website called 'British Polio Fellowship? - Apologies if you already have. 

I am sorry to read that you have been struggling with the effects of Polio but thank you for raising awareness about it! I hope and pray that you do find other survivors!

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness