On warfirin for the rest of my life, does this make me disabled? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

On warfirin for the rest of my life, does this make me disabled?

bigdabber3
bigdabber3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I was recently ammited to hospital with a clot on my lungs I have been told l will have to take warfrin for the rest of my life I was wondering do I come into the category of disabled.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bigdabber3 and welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    I think I can answer your question with some confidence, but if I'm at all wrong others will be along to talk to you in due course.
    Disability is a spectrum, though it's not often perceived that way. I am 'disabled' in that I have a problem with my sight and, without benefit of spectacles, would not be able to drive or do many of the other things that give me pleasure or meet my needs. Short-sightedness and wearing spectacles are one end of a spectrum, at the other end of which would be total blindness.
    'Disability' means that the person concerned is 'not able' to do things which a majority of other people can do without assistance. So the key to your question is what limits your present condition will place on you. Are you of working age, will your condition prevent you from working at your present job, will it prevent you from working generally, will it prevent you from doing things that you have normally done as a matter of routine?
    Can you perhaps tell us more about your condition?
    Hope this helps. We're here and listening.
    Warmest best wishes
    Richard

• bigdabber3
    bigdabber3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Richard,
    I was admitted to hospital with breathing problems,the ecg showed that some time in the past I had a heart attack  although I knew nothing about it. I had an ex ray  and this showed a clot on the blood vessel feeding my lungs. I have been put on a high dose of warfrin to thin my blood told  it would take six to eight weeks to clear.  I was also told I might have to take warfrin for the rest of my life. I am 68 and semi retired I am overweight but am now on a strict diet. I do have difficulty walking because I have siatica. 
    Sincerely Dave.

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Dave @bigdabber3, and thank you for getting back to me.
    Just so I know where we're at :smile: can you tell me what you were wondering about in terms of being in the 'disabled category'? Is it something that worries or alarms you? 
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bigdabber3

You're disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there anything you would like help with?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness