Looking for hearing assistance for my dad — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for hearing assistance for my dad

parklife2
parklife2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2018 in Sensory impairments
My father is 75 with very poor hearing, having been in the building trade for many years and with some history in the family I believe. He has NHS hearing aids but they are limited in benefit and I'm keen to find aids for the home that can help him hear conversations better, enable him to hear the TV (at a volume that is bearable for my mum and others), hear music better and/or listen to the telephone. An improvement in any one of these would improve life.    

Does anyone know where we can access someone who can visit and advise on what aids might help in the setting he is in?  I have some idea of things available someone with experience, patience and skills is needed to advise on the purchase of the right things. We are prepared that there may be a cost for such a visit, and that aids can be expensive, which is why I don't want to advise the wrong thing.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi parklife and welcome

I also have NHS hearing aids. If you don't have the contact number for your area  you should ask for a referal from his GP
    They should be able to adjust your fathers aids to his requirements
    CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • paula_artist
    paula_artist Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi. Boots audiologist. You can ask them. But mine are expensive. I can listen to the television via my hearing aids Bluetooth. Small box that fits into the TV. Blue tooth for mobile. I can turn them up if needed. No batteries. Charge every night. Smaller than nhs ones. You need to sit down. £3000.00. interest free. Spread the cost. d home visits. You can always just pop into boots and find out more.  Hope this helps. Pauls_artist

• amorritt
    amorritt Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I have hearing aids both ears I don't benefit really I too was in the construction industry I have been told to use the in ear ones because I too like music and I miss my music due to a major stroke in 2015 which nearly killed me. I have wireless earphone
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @parklife2
    Hi , My Husband has been profoundly deaf since birth, and he wears bi lateral hearing aids. He has tried the NHS ones, but really they don't do the job for him. He has had good service from Spec savers. he goes into the shop for his test, but I am pretty sure they would come to the home if necessary ( Although you would need to check this).He has just had to replace his, and yes they are expensive. They have a BOGOF offer on right now which also includes 4 years guarantee and free batteries for four years. The total cost to him for bi lateral was £1395.
    They are in the ear digital, and they can be adjusted to cut out the background noise etc, these ones have 24 programmes. Good luck .
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    edited February 2018
    Hi @parklife2

"I'm keen to find aids for the home that can help him hear conversations better, enable him to hear the TV (at a volume that is bearable for my mum and others), hear music better and/or listen to the telephone. An improvement in any one of these would improve life."

Many people with hearing aids require further equipment to help them hear better in some situations. These are known as "Assistive Listening Devices" or "ALDs". In some areas Social Services have an equipment service and they will send someone to the house to assess your father's needs. Some areas also provide the equipment free-of-charge but most places will just advise on what's needed now. Some audiology departments also have a room set up to demonstrate equipment available so it's worth asking his audiologist if that's available locally. Otherwise there are two main suppliers of a wide range of products - I can recommend either for their advice and knowledge and help finding the right solutions for your father - try Connevans https://www.deafequipment.co.uk and Action on Hearing Loss https://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/shop/ 

All the best

Vicki.  

Brightness