Cold weather — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cold weather

ClaireSaul
ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
Hi all,

many apologies for not being about over the weekend - had a pain flare, Ehlers Danlos symptoms worse, passed out and dislocated both shoulders!!  But I am catching up with chats and comments, I promise!

I just wondered how everyone is coping in this cold weather as for me it is one of the worst things for my nerve and joint pain?  Do you have any fab tips to share with the rest of us?

I am about to brave the cold now, so look forward to catching up with your tips later!

Claire
Claire Saul
Chronic Pain Advisor
Scope
helpline@scope.org.uk
scope.org.uk

Comments

• sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    It makes my arthritis so much worse but being a 23 year old stubborn male I persevere and pay for it later on in the day.

I find that wearing extra layers rather than one thick layer helps greatly. Not sitting immobile for too long, eating hot meals, drinking hot drinks etc

All the usual.

Although I wish I could afford to stay at home all day in bed with the heating on!! Seems like the greatest cure.

Shady.
  • gillian29
    gillian29 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    I’m new on here.im only 54 and got severe rheumatoid arthritis as well as oesteoarthritis and raynaurds.The cold weather makes my joint pain terrible,I have a deformed hand which is constantly in a ball,can’t straigjten or hardly use it,So I can’t wear gloves or mittens which makes my raynaurds terrible to deal with.The snow here is quite thick,I’ve cancelled a appointment,because of all my pain,hope you all are not suffering too bad because of the cold weather.Im a very quiet person but I’ve been listening to some of your chats.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @gillian29,hello and welcome to you and all the other members who suffer from the cold. Myself like many other MS suffers we don't like it to hot or to cold even taking a shower can be a problem getting the temperature just right. 
  • gillian29
    gillian29 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    @wilko,hi it’s no joke when most temperatures don’t suit you.I forgot to say I have lupus as well,and I can’t be out in the sun for long,and certain types. Of light can trigger a massive flair up,can’t say roll on summer lol.Im like you it  will be about impossible to get a temperature what will suit all of us
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Me too
     Too jot tpp cold. Big problems
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    gillian29 said:
    I’m new on here.im only 54 and got severe rheumatoid arthritis as well as oesteoarthritis and raynaurds.The cold weather makes my joint pain terrible,I have a deformed hand which is constantly in a ball,can’t straigjten or hardly use it,So I can’t wear gloves or mittens which makes my raynaurds terrible to deal with.The snow here is quite thick,I’ve cancelled a appointment,because of all my pain,hope you all are not suffering too bad because of the cold weather.Im a very quiet person but I’ve been listening to some of your chats.
    Very pleased to meet you!  I have suffered with Raynauds & chilblains since my teens, now worse with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) so know how it feels. I am still pretty new here myself and very aware that I due to my health problems I don't answer as regularly as I would like....but the main thing is that you know you can join in whenever you wish and it is great you are following chats!
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @gillian29, hello again don't worry about being shy , I tell it as it is or how I understand it to be. Some times I get it wrong or my posts are written to play devils advocate, somtimes its starts a string of posts high lighting many faults and failing of the benefits system mainly PIP hope you are well and staying warm.

Brightness