Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

Stotty1
Stotty1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi everyone, sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I'm new to all this and could really do with some help, I'm currently getting esa support group and have just been awarded pip at the standard rate, i live in supported housing but i think I'm classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for me, so my question is would i be able to claim severe disability premium? Thanks. 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Stotty1,

Welcome to the community!

The Gov.uk website has some useful information about severe disability premiums and eligibility. You may also find our benefits calculator useful too.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Stotty1 - happy to hear your PIP has been awarded. As Liam above says, the links will take you to useful information about the Severe Disability Premium. To summarise, the SDP will be worth an extra £62.45 a week, paid on top of the personal allowance, support component and enhanced disability premium which are already part of income related ESA in the Support Group. The SDP is paid IF you are 'treated as' living alone, AND no-one is claiming Carer's Allowance for looking after you AND you are getting either Daily Living component of PIP. If all of those factors are in place, then your ESA should rise to £188 a week, assuming you have no other income to be taken into account. The test of living alone is who is in your 'household' or claiming unit. If you have no partner, no dependant and no non-dependant living with you, then even if you are in supported housing you should be treated as living alone. Other people that you may share communal facilities with are not counted as being in your household, as long as you have your own room and your own personal tenancy agreement. You should get your SDP backdated to the date of your PIP daily living award. Tell DWP straight away that you have been awarded PIP and that you want the SDP to start being included in your ESA. They may send you a form to sign to confirm all the above. I hope this is helpful!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Stotty1
    Thank you Jayne, that is much clearer than any of the sites I have seen, thanks for replying. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stotty1 how did you get on with this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Stotty1
    Hi Sam, it was just like Jayne said, and i got it back dated to the start of my pip, life's a little bit easier now, thanks. 
  • kass
    kass Community member Posts: 65 Connected
    hello i use to get 

Severe disability 

on top of my income support but it stoped after 2 years I have a husband but he's  on a visa witch he's  in no recipt of public funds and can't claim nothing due to his visa conditions.....i get pip stranded rate care and im a carer for my sister I did get a letter when I was a warded pip saying I could be awared severe disability and got it but only £61.85 
    Thank You 

Karen
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi @kass

I'm a bit confused, as you say your SDP was stopped, but then you say it was awarded at £61.85?

The correct rate for SDP is £62.45, so it sounds to me like you're getting this - what do you want to know?..

Mary

• kass
    Hi...i was getting SDP at the rate of  £61.85 not £62.45  at single rate then DWP stoped it this week.....I read on the DWP this if you are part of a couple and your partner is registered blind, you can still qualify for SDP paid at the single rate even if your partner does not get a qualifying benefit.he don't get no benefits.....No carers no PIP No Benifits at all as he in no recipt of PUBLIC FUNDS.....so don't understand why DWP as stoped the  SDP 

Thank You 

• kass
    If the SDP carrys  on for 3 month after the partner moves in why as my SDP stopped completely 
  • kass
    Why as my post not been looked at with a benefit adviser please 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    edited February 2018
    Hi kass,

You qualify for SDP if you receive a qualifying benefit (AA, DLA MRC/HRC or PIP SRDL/ERDL). If you are a couple, you partner must also be getting a qualifying benefit, or be certified as severely sight impaired or blind by a consultant ophthalmologist. 
    I can't tell you why you were getting this for three months and now not, only the DWP can answer that. You should call them to ask why it's been stopped and whether it can be restarted under the circumstances described above.
    The difference between the rates doesn't matter - £62.45 is the current rate (April 2017-March 2018) and £61.85 was last year's rate. (April 2016-March 2017).

Lee

• kass
    I do get one of them benefits I get pip standered rate care.....But I have also said my partner don't get no qualifying benefit as he on a visa with no receipt of public funding....and I was asking some one told me on hear if your partner moves in I would get the SDP for 3month after then it will stop 

Thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    kass said:
    I do get one of them benefits I get pip standered rate care.....But I have also said my partner don't get no qualifying benefit as he on a visa with no receipt of public funding....and I was asking some one told me on hear if your partner moves in I would get the SDP for 3month after then it will stop 

Thank you
    The reason your SDP has stopped is because you live with your partner. It doesn't matter if your partner isn't entitled to any benefits. SDP will not continue for 3 months after your partner moves in. You're not entitled to it because you don't live alone or classed as living alone. If your partner moved in and your SDP continued before you reported those changes then you'll have to pay back what was overpaid to you.

Whoever told you the SDP would continue for 3 months, is completely wrong, sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    kasskass,

I'm afraid Poppy is right. You can't get the SDP if you live with a partner who doesn't get disability benefits. There is no 3 month rule, so as soon as you live with a partner, the SDP should stop.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is a 3 month rule if someone who is not part of your family (a non-dependant) comes to live with you to look after you as a carer.

If your partner is registered blind then the decision to stop your SDP would be wrong and you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration. If he isn't, then I'm sorry, but the decision looks right.

Will

• kass
    I don't really understand my partner can't get any benefits at all no disability no carers nothing As he on a visa with the condions he don't claim no benifits so I have to claim benefits in my own rights as a single person...so I just get money for my self I get pip standered rate care im carer for my sister and on income support 

Thank You 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello Kass

Unfortunately it is purely about whether you are living with your partner.

When assessing if people are living together, people will not be excluded from the assessment because visa conditions deny benefit entitlement. The test is whether you are living together regardless of whether your partner can or cannot claim benefits. 

Maria

• JKC
    JKC Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    i now live alone and get ESA (support group) pip daily enhanced rate, I'm sure I qualify for SDP, I think it goes up in April 2018 to about £64, my question is, I live in two bedroom house (band A) my rent is £95pw , if I end up with £191pw with the new rates, won't it affect my housing benefit?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JKC, and welcome! Have you tried the benefits calculator? It's a good way of checking what you may be entitled to, according to your circumstances, so you may be able to find some answers there!
  • shella
    shella Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    JKC said:
    i now live alone and get ESA (support group) pip daily enhanced rate, I'm sure I qualify for SDP, I think it goes up in April 2018 to about £64, my question is, I live in two bedroom house (band A) my rent is £95pw , if I end up with £191pw with the new rates, won't it affect my housing benefit
    PIP is not counted as income not sure about ESA
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    JKC said:
    i now live alone and get ESA (support group) pip daily enhanced rate, I'm sure I qualify for SDP, I think it goes up in April 2018 to about £64, my question is, I live in two bedroom house (band A) my rent is £95pw , if I end up with £191pw with the new rates, won't it affect my housing benefit?
    No, claiming SDP will not affect any housing benefit you claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.