SMI paid as a benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SMI paid as a benefit

URANIUM234UK
URANIUM234UK Community member Posts: 10 Listener
https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest/print

To My Logic, after reading the above gov web site , it means that:

IF you already receive SMI then you will keep on getting SMI; however it will first Stop and then restart (either by request or automatically, it does not say) and get IT PAID AS A BENEFIT.

IF you have already waited OVER 9 months (39 weeks) then you get IT PAID AS BENEFIT from April 2018 !

IF you have not waited this amount of time or are not already in receipt of SMI then you will be given it  AS A LOAN!

IF you get a gap (go to work or holiday or sign off) for upto 12 weeks you can restart it without anywaiting period; otherwise if the gap is over 12 weeks you have to wait 39 weeks again !

You can stop or restart it at any time (if you quality etc) bearing the above in mind.

N.B. These are only my rough notes and my best guess-estimate of this rip off, yet again designer to hurt the MOST POOR , MOST VUNERABLE PEOPLE IN SOCIETY; yet the BANKERS STILL DRINK 'OUR' CHAMPAGYNE!

N.B. IF you are rich you will CREATE A LIMITED COMPANY AND SET ASIDE  THIS  MORTGAGE INTEREST PAYMENT and GET IT BACK  !   p.s. it is maybe not worth while to do this if you mortgage interest is  low , say under £100/month ; as setting up and costs are £1,000 (including accounts etc).... against, this is only my rough guide ! please search internet.

Best of Luck to Everybody ! God Bless a True England with True Caring Government to All its Peoples !

Note: also I have heard , after receiving my letters, that these are WARM UP LETTERS !
What is that suppose to mean, all they say on phone is VAGUE and NO DEFINITE ANSWERS - again they read from scripts !

MAYBE, they are Playing for Time as they GOT THIS WRONG and it should AND WILL still be paid as a DESERVED BENEFIT TO ALL PEOPLE , PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE !

Thankyou for reading (sleepy now, snooze :-))

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @URANIUM234UK and welcome to the community. Good to meet you.
    A very interesting post. Please get back to us if there is any way in which you think we might be able to be of help.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @URANIUM234UK

Your logic is still wrong, and your post inaccurate and does nothing but add confusion to the conversation. 

The evidence you linked to in your some of your other posts also make it clear you are wrong.

Putting things in capitals does not automatically make them right. 

NB if you were rich you would not be affected by the SMI and the changes so not sure where this is relevent.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• URANIUM234UK
    as I said, that is my best estimate / guestimate and my logic is not wrong, it is that the gov web site is consusing and misleading and the RFI proves this as later posted.
    Rich ... you can easy open a Limited Company and reclaim all the Tax back but it costs a little money and you need advice.
    Simple statements, as I said, to all to read themselves and get their own info online etc to check !
  • Geoark
    @URANIUM234UK

From your link:

(1) 'SMI is currently paid as a benefit. From 6 April 2018 it will be paid as a loan.' 

and

(2) 'If you get SMI as a benefit, it will stop being paid from 5 April 2018. You’ll get a letter before then about the SMI loan and other options available to you.' 

Your 'logical' interpretation of these two statements:

IF you already receive SMI then you will keep on getting SMI; however it will first Stop and then restart (either by request or automatically, it does not say) and get IT PAID AS A BENEFIT.
    See (2) above

IF you have already waited OVER 9 months (39 weeks) then you get IT PAID AS BENEFIT from April 2018 !
    See (1) above

Yes the gov.uk site is a little confusing, on this matter, at the moment as apart from the above two statements it relates to the system as it currently stands.

And yes, I did read up on some of the other evidence you provided, which state the opposite of your assertions above. 

• heavenhelp
    heavenhelp Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Uranium I agree with would love to have a chat with you if possible.

Regards
    heavenhelp
  • URANIUM234UK
    It seems I am being misinterpreted. 
    Let me Clarify.
     I am simply looking at the site and making what is logic.  Yes, it is said by them to be changing now in many other documents. I agree with this. We all are given this 'confusing and incorrect information'. However, again, I state what is simply said from that , i.e. their own website. We all know also, that they are full of 'no answers' or 'part answers' or simply make it up if then do not know or do not want to tell you ... e.g. when on the phone to any of them ! This is their, i.e. the Benefits way of doing things!

1. All will be offered the loan; whether or not other people own the property also, and whether or not they live/do not live there; and whether you have a partner (i.e. some other person living there).

2. Their letters, are wrongly dated, not post mark, and are 'back dated' on the letter you will receive if you wish to accept the loan (they say you need do this within 6 weeks).

3. You can stop/start the loan once you have it in place; you have a time span of 1 year to do this (this is in the load documents themselves). However, you must be on one of their benefits to allow you to do this; e.g. JSA IB , ESA IB 

4. You can then stop/start the loan at any time; but my advise is take it up within the 1 year period (linking) so that you do not have to wait the 39 weeks re-start period !!!

5. If you do not start it immediately, they say that you may need to wait a 39 week period but I think this is wrong, as they need give you  a full 1 year to take this up... but please do not take this as fact.  

6.Their person on the phone had no answers / wrong answers. (reading from a script, ask then to go and ask someone who knows, do not agree to go contact some other DWP department fro the correct answer.

7. Landlords are getting around this INTEREST by CLAIMING it back by CREATING A COMPANY and putting the property INTO THE COMPANY NAME.

I know this is not cheap or easy but this is What the Rich are Doing and thus getting out of paying this  !!!!!  Look it up on the web !

8. Good Luck .. .Sign the Petition which has been posted !

Anyone/everyone, please check all my posts. These are only my notes ! to HELP !

AGAIN, everybody, please CHECK ALL MY NOTES, it is up to you to get the correct answers not me! However, I am trying to help.  Do not take any notes out of context.

UPTO YOU ....DO IT OR DON'T !

IF you don't sign and if you can't get money from anywhere else (according to your level of debt/'credit-overpayments' in your mortgage) you are in the dumps 'cos they , the bank, will chase you for the money to pay !!!
    ... if no option, then sign, at least it gets paid, and is ONLY PAID BACK if you leave the property by selling it or transferring it ! this could be in years to come it's up to how long you wish to stay there!
    ...if theres no profit (equity) left to pay them then the loan is written off !
    ... but be careful of these 'charges' which you need to agree to in order to get the loan.

GET ADVICE !
  • URANIUM234UK
    Some people need to learn logic in its context and not to take it out of such.
    Some people need to realise what sides that the statements have been made from and by whom
    Some people, simply need to use common sense and read clearly what has been fully stated in the whole document.
    Do this before you say a person is WRONG ! if you are so 'logical' ;-)
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    look my intrest on my morgage is 12.00 a week i had a letter saying from april the dwp wont be paying it any more to my lender, but if i sign my house to a lender one of the goverments mates , they will have a second charge on my house,i am not going to trust this i read in the letter i got it said they will charge me interedt the first year, then it goes up alot the second year, after what this gov done with the student loans i would not trust them.i would be paying them interest on the interest, no wonder its been kept very quiet, i will never serender my house to those greedy tories, because thats what they are trying to do,its a firm like capita   no thankyou, i will go without something and pay it myself, this goverment has got a cheek, the tax payer pays the morgage on there places, then they sell them make a big proffit, then rent it out and buy another one for the tax payer to pay.one mp has her daughter liveing in her first one. oh they make me so angry, if i was in a council or private rented property im sure i would be paying more than 12.00 a week.
  • Geoark
    @URANIUM234UK

How is this taking it out of context? You clearly stating it will be paid as a benefit and it will not.

Again how is this taking it out of context, as you clearly state it again. 

If you are stating that within the whole context of  your post you knew these statements to be wrong how does this help anyone? Also does it not mean you are also guilty of the same thing you are accusing others of by missing the two statements on the government website I pointed out to you?

I am not even sure the relevance of the rich or landlords, who often own multiple properties and would not qualify for SMI has to do with it, since the reasons behind creating these companies has nothing to do with SMI.

So yes, the statements you have made which I have highlighted are wrong, and you are now suggesting? you knew they were wrong? How does this help others?

• heavenhelp
    It seem Geoark you are adamant to take the DWP/Govt side whose website has deliberately written info about SMI in a manner to confuse/threaten people into surrendering their properties to DWP staff who are apparently either working for SERCO or seconded to work for SERCO. How can the tax payers money be used to pay DWP staff who are working for SERCO? Doesn't this sound fishy to you all? URANIUM I would appreciate if you could contact me directly please.
    Regards
    Heavenhelp
  • Geoark
    @heavenhelp

It is not about taking the DWP or government side. A lot of vulnerable people are suffering and will suffer because of this change in SMI. 

The government site currently outlines the SMI system as it currently stands, but gives two clear notices that after April 2018 they will no longer be a benefit. Yet URANIUM234UK chose to state it would continue to be paid and did so  by emphasising this. This does not help anyone. Especially as he now seems to be implying this is not what he  is saying.

To be clear on one point, I do not support this move, and for the small amount it will save I do not believe it was the best choice, but to go into denial about the reality of the change and the effects this will have on individuals and especially those with disabilities and long term illnesses does not help.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone,

We want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them.

Take care to present your views tactfully and remember that humour may be misinterpreted.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    We won't tolerate members swearing at eachother, we will remove these messages and you will receive a warning.

As @PippaScope says, please present your views with tact and be respectful of eachother.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • heavenhelp
    I wish people who are affected by this SMI threat have put in a formal complaint to DWP and asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration. If they refuse one should go to Appeals Tribunal. You need to act fast though
    Regards
    Heavenhelp
  • heavenhelp
    Complaining to MP does not seem to work its a  long term thing.
  • heavenhelp
    I agree with what URANIUM234UK said the Govt have given mixed messages I feel deliberatey so people would panic and sign up for loan which is interest on top of interest. Your ESA letter which states new amount without the Housing cost should be appealed against. Everyone will have their own reasons why they should not be removed.
  • heavenhelp
    Maybe some people are being negative and only taking into account the SMI will stop. Have further read where it says

What type of SMI you can get

Whether you can get SMI paid as a benefit or as a loan depends on when you get, or are treated as getting, your qualifying benefit.

It further states:

If you get another qualifying benefit

Your SMI will be paid as a benefit if you get another qualifying benefit before 7 July 2017. You must have been getting the benefit for 39 consecutive weeks.

• heavenhelp
    @Username_removed
    How can you say  gov.uk is the very last place to look for accurate information, and if that is the case how can you be sure if any of it is accuarate including the date they have stated when SMI will stop being paid?
    If Govt have made the changes then surely they are dutybound to give accurate information otherwise in law they would be classed as neglegent.

It seems to me the advise you are giving will cost a lot of people thier homes. Instead it appears that you asking URANIUN234UK to leave this subject alone when it should be you who should leave this subject alone cos you are not supporting people who threatend by the Govt and you and Geoark.
    Regards
    Heavenhelp

• heavenhelp
    Once again read this carefully if it applies to people

Eligibility

To qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) you must be out of work or of pension age. You also usually need to be claiming one of the following:

You might still be able to get SMI if you apply for one of the qualifying benefits but can’t get it because your income is too high. You’ll then be treated as getting the benefit you applied for.

Contact the relevant office to check if you’re eligible for SMI.

What type of SMI you can get

Whether you can get SMI paid as a benefit or as a loan depends on when you get, or are treated as getting, your qualifying benefit.

If you get Pension Credit

Your SMI will be paid as a benefit if you get Pension Credit before 6 April 2018.

It will be paid as a loan if you get Pension Credit on or after 6 April 2018.

If you get another qualifying benefit

Your SMI will be paid as a benefit if you get another qualifying benefit before 7 July 2017. You must have been getting the benefit for 39 consecutive weeks.

It will be paid as a loan if you get the qualifying benefit on or after 7 July 2017.

• heavenhelp
    The Govt should be after this lot collecting taxes and NIC instead of going after vulnerable and disabled
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/03/stars-turn-bbc-tax-stitch/

What is Scope actually doing about the Govt attack on Disabled with SMI threat and getting their claws on peoples properties for which they worked hard to get in the first place but through no fault of their on became disabled.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.