PIP and ESA mobility/walking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and ESA mobility/walking

Kitty1
Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi there
i have been on Dla high mobility and care since 2010. I recently had to apply for Pip. As the criteria is different I have received no award. I am waiting for an appeal date. 

I had my Pip assessment done by a paramedic who misrepresented answers. Around the same time I had an assessment for ESA by a Doctor and was put straight into the Support Group with 15 points mobilising.  

I know now that they are different criteria but was wondering if I am unable to reliably and repeatedly mobilise on ESA would that show any evidence for walking with PIP. I am not sure if ESA do distance. I cannot see mention of it on my award.  Thankyou for any advice. 
Kitty

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kitty1 and welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    I'm just saying hello, as I'm not qualified to advise on benefits - but we have plenty of folks here who are. Bear with us and they will get back to you.
    In the meantime, have a look around the site, see if there's anything to interest you, and, if you have any questions or want to tell us any more, please don't hesitate. You are very much among friends here.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Kitty and welcome

ESA mobilising

1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally, or could reasonably be, worn or used.
    1 (a) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 50 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 15 points.
    1 (b) Cannot mount or descend two steps unaided by another person even with the support of a handrail. 9 points.
    1 (c) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 100 meters on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 100 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 9 points.
    1 (d) Cannot either (i) mobilise more than 200 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion or (ii) repeatedly mobilise 200 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 6 points.
    1 (e) None of the above apply. 0 points.

The minimun distance quote for ESA is 50m

To score enhanced mobility for PIP

12. Moving around.
    12 a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    12 b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    12 c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    12 d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    12 f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, �(i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

Although the misrepresentations are important you will only score points for showing you meet the criteria for an award

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Kitty1
    Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    Thankyou for the welcome both. That makes it a bit clearer. Thankyou. :)
  • erm
    erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    So when it gives the distance for walking is this repeatedly after stopping for rests or once a day
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    @erm 'repeatedly' means 'as often as is reasonably required' which will vary according to the descriptor...

For example you might be expected to have a shower once per day, prepare a meal three time etc. How often you might be expected to walk is not specified.

It includes 'limited pauses' according to the DWP guidelines...

For example if you could walk 25 metres, perhaps with a limited pause, and could do this several times per day (after a rest, if required) then you would be assessed as being able to walk 20m +
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    erm said:
    So when it gives the distance for walking is this repeatedly after stopping for rests or once a day
    It's repeatedly as often as reasonably required.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    I would think high rate mobility on DLA would at least get you standard rate on PIP?  Unless you got it for the "virtually unable to walk" descriptor which got applied somewhat liberally by tribunals vs DWP expectations.

If you appeal/MR emphasise what you can only do repeatedly and reliably.

ESA mobility criteria is too different to compare.  On ESA the main difference been they can assume one has a wheelchair and then assess you based on that imaginary wheelchair, its almost a completely different assessment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    worried33 said:

ESA mobility criteria is too different to compare.  On ESA the main difference been they can assume one has a wheelchair and then assess you based on that imaginary wheelchair, its almost a completely different assessment.
    Totally agree with this. The mobilising criteria for ESA includes your ability to use a self propel wheelchair. PIP doesn't include this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • erm
    erm Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Thanks for the help. I was worried for people I helped as they were asked how many feet they could walk if not in tge wheelchair but no mention of being able to repeat that after stopping to rest. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.